Looking for a reliable backpack that can withstand water and moisture? A waterproof backpack is your best bet! Whether you’re hiking, commuting, or traveling, a waterproof backpack can keep your belongings safe and dry. But with so many options available, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one. That’s why we’ve created this comprehensive guide to help you find the best waterproof backpack for your needs. In this guide, we’ll cover the different types of waterproof backpacks, top brands, care and maintenance tips, and much more. Let’s get started!
When looking to buy a waterproof backpack, there are a few key factors to consider. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Size and capacity: Consider what you’ll be using the backpack for and how much storage space you’ll need. A smaller backpack might be ideal for a day hike, while a larger one may be necessary for a multi-day trip.
- Durability: Look for a backpack that is made from high-quality materials and can withstand wear and tear. A waterproof backpack should be able to handle exposure to water and other harsh elements.
- Waterproofing technology: Check to see what type of waterproofing technology the backpack uses. Some backpacks may use a waterproof coating on the exterior of the bag, while others may have a separate waterproof lining on the inside.
- Comfort: Look for a backpack that has padded shoulder straps and a comfortable back panel. This will help to distribute weight evenly and reduce discomfort during long periods of use.
- Accessibility: Consider how easy it is to access the contents of the backpack. Some backpacks may have multiple compartments and pockets, while others may have a more minimalist design.
- Price: Set a budget for your backpack purchase and look for options within that range. Keep in mind that a high-quality waterproof backpack may be more expensive, but it can also last longer and provide better protection for your belongings.
- Brand reputation: Look for a reputable brand that has a history of producing high-quality backpacks. Read reviews and ask for recommendations from friends or outdoor enthusiasts.
By considering these factors when shopping for a waterproof backpack, you can ensure that you find a backpack that is the right size, durable, comfortable, and accessible while also being within your budget and from a reputable brand.
Types of Waterproof Backpacks
Here are some types of waterproof backpacks:
- Dry bags: Dry bags are a popular type of waterproof backpack that is designed to keep your belongings dry even in the wettest conditions. They are typically made from waterproof materials such as PVC or nylon and feature a roll-top closure that creates a watertight seal.
- Roll-top backpacks: Roll-top backpacks are similar to dry bags in that they feature a roll-top closure that creates a waterproof seal. However, they are more backpack-like in design and often have more features such as padded shoulder straps and multiple compartments.
- Waterproof daypacks: Waterproof daypacks are backpacks that are designed for shorter hikes or day trips. They are usually smaller in size and have fewer compartments, making them lighter and more compact.
- Waterproof commuter backpacks: Waterproof commuter backpacks are designed for those who commute to work or school by bike or on foot. They are usually larger in size and have more features such as laptop compartments and reflective accents for safety.
- Dry tube backpacks: Dry tube backpacks are similar to dry bags but have a tubular shape, making them easier to pack and organize. They often have shoulder straps and are suitable for a range of outdoor activities such as kayaking, rafting, and camping.
- Waterproof hiking backpacks: Waterproof hiking backpacks are designed for longer hikes and backpacking trips. They are usually larger in size and have more features such as hip belts and load lifters to distribute weight evenly and reduce strain on your back.
By understanding the different types of waterproof backpacks available, you can choose the right type of backpack for your specific needs and activities. Consider factors such as size, features, and waterproofing technology when choosing a backpack to ensure that it is suitable for your intended use.
Top Picks for Best Waterproof Backpacks
Heavy Duty Roll-Top Closure Waterproof Backpack
Earth Pak's waterproof backpack is built with high-quality 500D PVC materials and has all of the features that any traveler would want in their pack. The roll-top closure provides ultimate protection while traveling, and it also includes an IPX waterproof phone case. And with D-Rings attached to both shoulder straps and MOLLE system looping both provide anchor points to latch onto while boating or biking, there are plenty of ways that you can use this bag in every aspect of your life!
Waterproof Backpack Dry Bag with Airtight Zipper Phone Case
Kings Trek Waterproof Backpack Dry Bag is the perfect solution to your water-related problems. The IPX7 certified waterproof material and the air-tight zipper make it easy to use this bag in any weather conditions. It’s lightweight & portable, so you can take it anywhere with you. Don’t let wet clothes ruin your day out on the lake or river anymore! With our dry bag, all of your belongings will stay safe and sound inside while still being completely accessible at all times. Whether you want to go swimming or fishing, we have got you covered with this waterproof backpack from Kings Trek Waterproof Backpack and Dry Bag!
Waterproof Backpack Dry Bag Heavy Gauge PVC Construction 30L
The Oak Creek Waterproof Backpack is a perfect choice. It’s made of heavy gauge PVC, which means it will keep your gear and valuables safe from exposure to water. With 30L volume, this bag can hold plenty of gear to stay dry while protecting it. And with features like reinforced straps that double as handles and zippered front pocket, this bag makes transporting items easy and comfortable. Plus, adjustable shoulder straps make carrying heavy loads simple!
Lightweight Cycling Hiking Water Resistant Backpack
The Sunhiker Lightweight Cycling Hiking Waterproof Backpack is the perfect size for your next adventure. It’s lightweight and durable. Whether you’re going on an outdoor adventure or just want something that can handle everyday use, this bag is small enough to fit in any locker but big enough to carry all of your essentials. Multiple pockets so you can keep everything organized and easy to find. Breathable mesh shoulder straps help relieve the stress of the shoulder. It comes in several different colors so that everyone can find their favorite color scheme.
Dry Bag Waterproof Backpack 30L
The FE Active Dry Bag Waterproof Backpack 30L is the perfect bag to take on any outdoor adventure. It’s made of thick marine grade 5mm Vinyl Tarpaulin with high frequency welded stitching, so it can withstand extreme weather conditions and activities. This dry bag has an IPX8 waterproof rating, which means it’s submersible. It has padded shoulder straps with mesh lining for better airflow and weighs only 2 pounds. This waterproof backpack dry bag will keep all of your belongings safe and secure while keeping them dry at all times.
Waterproof Floating Backpack Dry Bag 25L/35L
Skog Å Kust
The Skog Å Kust Waterproof Floating Backpack is the perfect bag for anyone who wants to keep their gear dry in a variety of outdoor sports and activities. It’s made from heavy-duty 500-denier PVC with watertight, welded seams and a roll-down top that seals out the elements. You can use either the side clips or fold it at least 3 times then click the top clip to create an instant handle. There are also 2 zippered pockets on the inside that will protect your belongings while keeping them organized. This bag has everything you need in order to stay dry when you’re having fun outdoors!
Floating Dry Backpack
If you're looking for a reliable dry bag backpack that can withstand the elements, then Piscifun floating dry bag backpack is an excellent choice. It's made with 500D waterproof PVC to ensure it can handle any abuse from the marine or wilderness. An outer mesh pocket provides extra room for non-dry storage and the solid roll-top closure makes it easy to achieve an optimal watertight seal. Furthermore, it comes with an IPX8-certified waterproof phone case so you can take your phone with you on any adventure without worrying about it getting wet too! Adjustable straps make it comfortable to carry on your back no matter how long of a hike or adventure you go on! Whether you're kayaking, boating, surfing, rafting, or fishing, this bag will keep your gear safe and dry no matter what kind of weather Mother Nature throws at you.
- Transparent design to easily see contents
- Larger sizes are quite expensive
- 500D wear resistant material
- Adjustable shoulder straps
Waterproof Backpack Marine Dry Bag
Unigear is an excellent waterproof backpack dry bag. Made of impermeable material with roll-top closure. You’ll never have to worry about getting caught in a rainstorm again when you have this bag by your side. Duraflex buckle with metal lock and reinforced joints make it tough-as-rocks. It's perfect for all kinds of outdoor activities like fishing, kayaking, hiking, biking or even just going out into nature with friends!
Waterproof Backpack Dry Bag
Earth Pak is the perfect solution to your water-related problems. Their backpacks are made with high-quality 500D PVC materials that will keep all of your belongings safe and dry. Includes an IPX8 certified waterproof phone case. They can be used as a dry bag, or as an everyday backpack with comfortable shoulder straps. Whether you’re hiking through a rainstorm or kayaking downriver on vacation, our products provide superior protection against water damage so you can enjoy yourself without worrying about your things getting wet.
Lightweight Waterproof Backpack Dry Bag
This Lightweight Waterproof Backpack Dry Bag is perfect for all your outdoor activities. It’s made with seamless 0.02 in (0.6 mm) thick wear-resistant material technology so it can keep your items and valuables dry when you do some water sports like boating and kayaking but not underwater sports. It’s durable enough to last through all kinds of weather and environment. The adjustable shoulder straps and handles make carrying easy no matter what activity you’re doing! With this bag, there are endless possibilities!
Floating Waterproof Backpack Dry Bag
This Floating Waterproof Backpack Dry Bag is made of high-quality thick 500D tarpaulin which is an ultra-tough waterproof fabric, resisting tear, abrasion, strong enough to use in most harsh conditions. With adjustable and detachable shoulder strap suitable for different body types and various carrying styles. Easy to fold, portable and convenient to store!
Here are some top brands that are known for producing high-quality waterproof backpacks:
- Osprey: Osprey is a popular brand that offers a wide range of backpacks for different activities, including hiking, biking, and commuting. They are known for their innovative designs, high-quality materials, and durability.
- Patagonia: Patagonia is a well-known outdoor clothing and gear brand that produces a range of waterproof backpacks for various outdoor activities. They are known for their eco-friendly practices and commitment to sustainability.
- North Face: North Face is another popular outdoor clothing and gear brand that produces high-quality waterproof backpacks. They are known for their durable materials and innovative designs.
- Sea to Summit: Sea to Summit is a brand that specializes in outdoor gear, including backpacks. They offer a range of waterproof backpacks for activities such as hiking, camping, and water sports.
- Ortlieb: Ortlieb is a German brand that specializes in waterproof bags and backpacks. They are known for their high-quality materials and innovative designs that provide excellent waterproofing and durability.
By choosing a backpack from a reputable brand, you can have confidence that the backpack will be of high quality, durable, and suitable for your intended activity. Be sure to read reviews and do some research to find the best brand for your needs.
Cheap vs Expensive
When it comes to waterproof backpacks, there can be a significant difference in price between cheaper and more expensive options. Here are some factors to consider when deciding between a cheap and an expensive waterproof backpack:
- Materials: Cheaper waterproof backpacks may use lower quality materials, such as cheaper plastics or thin fabrics, which may not hold up well over time or provide adequate protection against the elements. More expensive backpacks, on the other hand, may use higher quality materials such as ripstop nylon or Gore-Tex, which can offer greater durability and waterproofing.
- Design: Cheaper backpacks may have a simpler design with fewer features and less organization, while more expensive backpacks often have more pockets, compartments, and organizational features. Expensive backpacks may also have a more ergonomic design with features such as padded straps and back panels for added comfort.
- Brand: More expensive backpacks may come from well-known and reputable brands that have a history of producing high-quality products, while cheaper backpacks may come from lesser-known brands that may not have a track record of producing durable and reliable gear.
- Warranty: More expensive backpacks often come with better warranties, which can give you greater peace of mind in case something goes wrong with the backpack. Cheaper backpacks may not offer any warranty or may have limited coverage.
Ultimately, the choice between a cheap and an expensive waterproof backpack depends on your needs and priorities. If you plan to use the backpack frequently and for demanding activities, it may be worth investing in a more expensive backpack with high-quality materials and a durable design. If you only plan to use the backpack occasionally or for less demanding activities, a cheaper option may suffice. Remember to consider factors such as materials, design, brand, and warranty when making your decision.
Care and Maintenance
Proper care and maintenance can help ensure that your waterproof backpack lasts as long as possible and remains effective in keeping your belongings dry. Here are some tips for caring for and maintaining your waterproof backpack:
- Cleaning: Regularly clean your waterproof backpack with mild soap and water to remove dirt and grime. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that can damage the waterproof coating. Rinse thoroughly and air dry.
- Drying: After use, make sure your backpack is completely dry before storing it to prevent mold and mildew from growing. If your backpack becomes wet, empty it and hang it up to dry completely before storing it.
- Storage: When not in use, store your backpack in a dry, cool place. Avoid leaving it in direct sunlight or hot environments, which can damage the waterproof coating and the backpack’s material.
- Reapplying waterproofing: Over time, the waterproofing on your backpack may wear off. You can reapply the waterproof coating using a waterproofing spray or liquid, which can help restore the backpack’s effectiveness in keeping your belongings dry.
- Repairing: If your backpack becomes damaged, such as a tear or a broken zipper, repair it promptly to prevent further damage. Some manufacturers offer repair services for their backpacks, or you can take it to a professional repair shop.
By following these care and maintenance tips, you can help extend the life of your waterproof backpack and ensure that it remains effective in keeping your belongings dry.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks for using your waterproof backpack:
- Pack smartly: Even though your backpack is waterproof, it’s still important to pack your belongings in a way that maximizes their protection. Use dry bags or ziplock bags to keep items like electronics, documents, and clothes separate and organized.
- Test your backpack: Before heading out on a trip or activity, test your backpack to make sure it’s fully waterproof. Fill it with towels or other absorbent materials, close it up, and submerge it in water for a few minutes. If any water gets inside, identify the source of the leak and address it before using the backpack.
- Be mindful of zippers: Zippers can be a weak point in waterproof backpacks, so make sure they’re fully closed and secure before exposing your backpack to water. Avoid overstuffing your backpack, as this can put extra strain on the zippers.
- Clean and dry regularly: Regular cleaning and drying are important to prevent mold and mildew from growing inside your backpack. Make sure to dry your backpack completely before storing it to avoid any moisture buildup.
- Choose the right size: Choose a backpack that’s the right size for your needs. A backpack that’s too small may not be able to fit all your belongings, while a backpack that’s too large can be cumbersome and heavy to carry.
- Invest in a rain cover: In addition to a waterproof backpack, consider investing in a rain cover. This can provide an extra layer of protection against heavy rain and prevent water from seeping in through the backpack’s seams and zippers.
By following these tips and tricks, you can make the most of your waterproof backpack and ensure that your belongings stay dry and protected during your outdoor adventures.
Alternatives to Waterproof Backpacks
If you’re looking for alternatives to waterproof backpacks, here are some options:
- Dry bags: Dry bags are a popular alternative to waterproof backpacks, especially for water-based activities like kayaking, canoeing, and rafting. They are lightweight, easy to pack, and come in a variety of sizes to fit your needs.
- Rain covers: As mentioned earlier, rain covers can provide an extra layer of protection for your backpack in case of heavy rain. They are lightweight and easy to pack, making them a good option for occasional use.
- Water-resistant backpacks: While they may not be fully waterproof, some backpacks are made with water-resistant materials and coatings that can provide some protection against light rain and moisture. These backpacks can be a good option for everyday use or for activities where you’re not expecting heavy rain or immersion in water.
- Plastic bags or liners: If you don’t want to invest in a new backpack or accessory, you can use plastic bags or liners to protect your belongings. Ziplock bags or garbage bags can be used to keep items like electronics, documents, and clothes separate and dry inside your backpack.
Keep in mind that while these alternatives can provide some protection against water and moisture, they may not be as reliable as waterproof backpacks. Consider your needs and the level of protection required before choosing an alternative to waterproof backpacks.
Benefits of Waterproof Backpacks
Waterproof backpacks offer several benefits, including:
- Protection from water and moisture: The most obvious benefit of waterproof backpacks is that they provide excellent protection from water and moisture. This is particularly important if you’re carrying electronics, documents, or other items that can be damaged by water.
- Versatility: Waterproof backpacks can be used for a variety of activities, including hiking, camping, boating, and traveling. They can withstand a range of weather conditions and keep your belongings dry and safe.
- Durability: Waterproof backpacks are typically made with high-quality, durable materials that can withstand wear and tear over time. This makes them a good investment for outdoor enthusiasts who need a reliable backpack that can handle frequent use.
- Easy to clean: Waterproof backpacks are typically easy to clean and maintain. They can be rinsed with water and soap to remove dirt and grime, and they dry quickly.
- Added features: Many waterproof backpacks come with added features like padded straps, multiple compartments, and external pockets. These features can make the backpack more comfortable to wear and easier to organize.
Overall, waterproof backpacks are a great investment for anyone who spends time outdoors or needs reliable protection from water and moisture.