Are you planning a snorkeling adventure and looking for the perfect gear? One of the most important pieces of equipment is a high-quality snorkel. With so many options on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one. In this blog, we’ll review some of the best snorkels available and provide a comprehensive guide to help you select the perfect one for your needs. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced snorkeler, this guide will help you find the best snorkel to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable underwater experience.
When shopping for the best snorkel, there are a few key factors to consider:
- Type of snorkel: There are several different types of snorkels, including full, dry, semi-flex, and purge snorkels. Full snorkels cover your entire face, while dry snorkels are designed to prevent water from entering the tube. Semi-flex snorkels have a flexible portion near the mouthpiece, while purge snorkels have a valve at the bottom to help clear water.
- Material: Snorkels can be made from a variety of materials, including plastic, silicone, and rubber. Look for a snorkel made from high-quality materials that will last a long time and feel comfortable in your mouth.
- Comfort: Comfort is key when it comes to snorkeling. Look for a snorkel with a soft, comfortable mouthpiece that won’t cause irritation or discomfort after extended use. Adjustable straps can also help ensure a snug and comfortable fit.
- Size and length: The size and length of a snorkel can impact its performance. Look for a snorkel that is the right length for your face and body size. A longer snorkel can help you breathe more easily and comfortably, while a shorter one can be more compact and easier to carry.
- Brand and reputation: Finally, consider the brand and reputation of the snorkel you’re interested in. Look for a brand with a good reputation for quality and durability, and read reviews from other customers to get an idea of how the snorkel performs in real-world conditions.
By considering these factors when shopping for a snorkel, you can find the best snorkel for your needs and ensure a comfortable and enjoyable snorkeling experience.
Types of Snorkels
When it comes to snorkeling, there are several different types of snorkels available on the market. Each type has its own unique features and benefits, and choosing the right one for your needs can help ensure a comfortable and enjoyable snorkeling experience. Here are the most common types of snorkels:
- Full snorkels: Full snorkels, also known as traditional snorkels, cover your entire face and are designed to provide a clear view of the underwater environment. They typically have a larger breathing tube than other types of snorkels, which can make it easier to breathe. However, some people find them to be heavy and uncomfortable.
- Dry snorkels: Dry snorkels are designed to prevent water from entering the tube, which can be especially helpful in choppy or rough conditions. They typically have a special valve at the top of the tube that seals off when the snorkel is submerged. However, some people find them to be less comfortable than other types of snorkels, as they can be more difficult to clear.
- Semi-flex snorkels: Semi-flex snorkels have a flexible portion near the mouthpiece, which can help improve comfort and reduce jaw fatigue. They typically have a smaller breathing tube than full snorkels, which can make them more comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.
- Purge snorkels: Purge snorkels have a valve at the bottom of the tube that allows water to be easily cleared out. They are typically designed with a smaller breathing tube than full snorkels, which can make them more comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. However, they can be more difficult to breathe through than other types of snorkels.
Each type of snorkel has its own unique features and benefits, and the best snorkel for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. By considering the different types of snorkels available and their respective features, you can find the right snorkel for your next snorkeling adventure.
Top Picks for Best Snorkels
Dry Snorkel Set
Greatever's anti-fogging mask and no leaking snorkel technology ensures you will never have to worry about getting water in your mouth via faulty snorkel or a foggy mask again! And with the dry snorkel's flexible design, it won't fall out even when diving or swimming fast through rough waters. It's also easy to store and comes with a durable clip for mask attachment! This snorkeling set is perfect for scuba and will make a perfect scuba snorkel!
- Panoramic view
- Flexible silicone
- Low profile design
- Not for narrow faces
- Anti fog
- Anti leak
- Clear lens
Cressi Supernova Dry Snorkel
The Cressi supernova dry snorkel is the perfect choice for snorkeling or scuba diving. It’s made of high-quality materials and designed to be comfortable and easy to use. With its ergonomic shape and soft silicone mouthpiece, Cressi's dry snorkel is comfortable to use even after hours of exploring underwater. And with its patented one-way purge valve system, there's no need to worry about clearing out any excess water from the tube before taking your next breath - just inhale normally through your mouth as needed without ever having to touch the snorkel tube! The Supernova Dry snorkel's unique design also makes it easy to store in a dive bag or backpack when not in use.
- Great price
- Soft and flexible
- Comfortable mouth piece
- Strap is difficult to adjust
- Internal float prevents water intrusion
- Purge valve
- Flexible tube
FINIS Swimmer's Snorkel
Are you looking for a new swimming or lap snorkel? Swimming is an excellent way to stay in shape and get your heart rate up. But it can be difficult to breathe through a traditional snorkel while swimming laps. That’s why Finis created the Freestyle snorkel, the only snorkel designed specifically for lap swimmers. It stays in place so you can focus on your workout instead of worrying about whether or not your mouthpiece will fall out of place. And with its comfortable mouthpiece, you won’t have to worry about jaw fatigue either! You deserve the best when it comes to swimming gear – that’s why Finis made sure this product was built from high-quality materials and designed by experts who understand what swimmers need most.
- Adjustable head bracket
- One way purge valve
- Angled mouthpiece
- Not for ocean
- Center mounted snorkel
- Great for swimmers
- Molded mouth piece
Cressi America and Gringo Snorkels For Spearfishing
If you're looking for a great spearfishing snorkel, then take a look at the Cressi America or Gringo. They're some of the best snorkels on the market. Its multi-positional silicone soft mouthpiece provides extreme comfort during prolonged use, and its easy clearing capability keeps your breathing effortless. This snorkel is perfect for any diver who wants to improve their skills and get more out of their diving experience. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced pro, this is the only snorkel that should go in your gear bag. Don’t miss out on all of its benefits – get yours today!
- High flexibility
- Basic functional design
- A little short
- Multi position mouth piece
- Large diameter tube
- Easy clearing capability
Mares Ergo Dry Snorkel
This Mares ergo dry snorkel is the perfect snorkel to take on your next spearfishing or snorkeling adventure. It’s made with high-quality materials that are designed to last, and it comes in multiple colors so you can choose one that matches your style. Plus, it has an exhaust valve that keeps water out of the tube when you dive down below the surface. This means no more mouthfuls of saltwater or having to stop every few minutes just so you can clean the inside of your snorkel when you're out scuba diving or snorkeling.
- Easy on jaw
- Hard for water to enter
- Little heavy for a snorkel
- Contoured design
- Hydrodynamic shape
- Purge valve
Oceanic Ultra Dry 2 Snorkel For Diving
Searching for a new diving dry snorkel? The Oceanic Ultra Dry 2 snorkel is the best dry snorkel on the market. Its patented dry snorkel technology virtually eliminates water entry, making it perfect for beginners and experts alike. Its oversized purge valve makes clearing easy, while its quick-release swiveling snorkel keeper keeps your mouthpiece in place when not in use. And with a drop-away smooth bore flex mouthpiece that won’t get in the way. This is one of the best snorkels on the market today and we think you'll love Oceanics snorkel.
- Mouth piece is replaceable
- Flexible and soft on jaw
- Easy to clear
- Snorkel bend can become a weak point over time
- Dry snorkel
- Oversized purge valve
- Drop away mouth piece
Cressi Kids Snorkeling Kit
The Cressi "Rocks" is one of the best snorkels and masks combo kits. With this kit, you can take your child out on an adventure in the water without having to worry about lugging around extra equipment, when this combo can do it all. This is a great way to get them interested in snorkeling, all at an affordable price. With Cressi's name behind it, you can trust that this kid mask combo will perform to your standards. It's comfortable to wear for extended periods of time and is easily adjustable. They will love the mask's ultra-clear lens and the comfortable snorkel for all-day wear. The Cressi Snorkel alone is worth it but this combo makes it an even sweeter deal! Grab one for your kids, today!
- Easy water expulsion
- Double strap prevents slipping
- Easy to adjust
- On the pricier side
- For kids 3-8
- Wide field of view
- Semi dry top
Aqua Lung Sport Island Dry Snorkel For SCUBA
Do you love scuba diving? Aqua Lung is one of the world's largest manufacture of snorkel and dive equipment. Aqua Lungs patented "Pivot Dry Technology" keeps your snorkel clear, so you can focus on exploring the underwater world. They have a variety of options to suit all levels of experience and budgets. And with this snorkel, that's no different. It’s made with high-quality materials and has all of the features that make it easy to use, and comfortable to have clipped on your mask all day long. With this snorkel, you can breathe easily while submerged in water without worrying about getting water in your mouth or having to clear out your snorkel. In conclusion, this is a perfect snorkel for snorkeling or a snorkel for scuba diving!
- Price point can't be beat
- Adjustable mask retaining clip
- Comfortable mouthpiece
- Not great for big heads
- Dry top
- Pivoting angle
- One way purge valve
Cressi Alpha Ultra Dry Snorkel For Spearfishing
We’re in the business of making you a better hunter, which means we need to ensure your equipment is top-notch. That’s why we love the streamlined Cressi Alpha dry snorkel. It’s designed with an efficient shape so you can swim faster and hunt longer without worrying about water getting into your mouth or nose due to its dry design. The Cressi snorkel has been made by the legendary company Cressi in Italy, known worldwide as one of the finest diving equipment manufacturers available today! They know what it takes to make a great hunting tool because they've been doing this since 1947!
- Easier to clear than others
- Wide bore allows easier breathing
- Little water intrusion
- Heavier than other snorkels
- Float mechanism to prevent water entry
- Flexible tube
- Wide bore
TUSA Hyperdry Elite II Scuba Dry Snorkel
TUSA's snorkel is a high-performance, low-profile that's perfect for spearfishing. It's arguably one of the best TUSA snorkels made and features a comfortable mouthpiece for reduced jaw fatigue. This snorkel has an ergonomic design to reduce drag, so it’s perfect for scuba diving! The low-profile design keeps water out of your breathing tube so it stays clear no matter how choppy the waves are. You won’t find another dry diving snorkel like this on the market today at this price!
- Comfortable mouthpiece
- Great angle
- Sleek design
- Low profile top
- Orthotic mouthpiece to reduce fatigue
- Angle purge chamber
Care and Maintenance
To ensure your snorkel lasts for years and performs at its best, it’s important to take care of it properly. Here are some tips for caring for and maintaining your snorkel:
- Rinse after each use: After using your snorkel, rinse it thoroughly with fresh water to remove any salt, sand, or other debris that may have accumulated. This can help prevent corrosion and damage to the snorkel.
- Dry thoroughly: Allow your snorkel to air dry completely before storing it. This can help prevent mold and mildew from developing and ensure that the snorkel is ready for its next use.
- Store in a dry place: Store your snorkel in a dry, cool place away from direct sunlight. Avoid storing it in a damp or humid environment, as this can encourage mold and mildew growth.
- Check for damage: Regularly inspect your snorkel for signs of wear and tear, such as cracks, dents, or holes. If you notice any damage, replace the snorkel immediately.
- Clean with mild soap: If your snorkel becomes particularly dirty or is exposed to saltwater for an extended period of time, you can clean it with a mild soap solution. Rinse thoroughly afterward to ensure that all soap residue is removed.
By following these care and maintenance tips, you can help ensure that your snorkel stays in top condition and provides you with years of enjoyable snorkeling experiences.
A snorkel is made up of several different parts, each of which plays an important role in the overall function of the snorkel. Here are the main parts of a snorkel:
- Mouthpiece: The mouthpiece is part of the snorkel that you put in your mouth to breathe. It should be comfortable and fit securely to prevent air leaks.
- Breathing tube: The breathing tube is the long, hollow tube that extends from the mouthpiece up to the surface of the water. It should be long enough to reach the surface comfortably but not so long that it becomes difficult to breathe through.
- Purge valve: Some snorkels have a purge valve at the bottom of the breathing tube that allows water to be easily cleared out. This can be helpful if water enters the tube.
- Dry top: Some snorkels have a dry top, which is a special valve at the top of the breathing tube that seals off when the snorkel is submerged. This can help prevent water from entering the tube and make it easier to breathe.
- Strap: The strap is used to secure the snorkel to your head. It should be adjustable and fit comfortably to prevent the snorkel from slipping or falling off.
- Snorkel holder: Some snorkels come with a snorkel holder, which is a clip or other device that allows you to attach the snorkel to your mask strap when not in use.
By understanding the different parts of a snorkel and their respective functions, you can choose a snorkel that meets your needs and provides a comfortable and enjoyable snorkeling experience.
Snorkeling can be a fun and exciting activity, but it’s important to approach it with caution and care. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your snorkeling experience:
- Choose the right snorkel: As we’ve discussed earlier, choosing the right snorkel is crucial to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable experience. Consider factors such as the type of snorkel, fit, and features such as dry tops and purge valves.
- Practice breathing: Practice breathing through your snorkel before entering the water. Take deep breaths and exhale slowly to get used to the feeling of breathing through the snorkel.
- Relax: Relax your body and take slow, steady breaths while snorkeling. This can help conserve your energy and make it easier to stay underwater for longer periods of time.
- Equalize your ears: If you feel pressure in your ears while snorkeling, try equalizing by pinching your nose and gently blowing through it. This can help alleviate discomfort.
- Stay safe: Stay within your limits and don’t push yourself too hard. Be aware of your surroundings and avoid snorkeling in areas with strong currents or dangerous wildlife.
- Respect the environment: Take care to avoid touching or disturbing marine life, and never remove anything from the ocean. Leave the environment as you found it, so that future generations can enjoy it as well.
By following these tips and using the right snorkel, you can have a safe and enjoyable snorkeling experience.
Alternatives to Snorkels
While snorkels are a popular and effective way to explore the underwater world, there are several alternatives to consider as well. Here are a few options:
- Full face snorkel masks: Full face snorkel masks provide a 360-degree view of the underwater world, making them a popular choice for snorkeling. They cover both the nose and mouth and often have a built-in snorkel. However, some experts caution that they may pose certain safety risks and limit your ability to equalize your ears.
- Free diving: Free diving involves holding your breath and diving underwater without the use of any equipment. This can be a thrilling and challenging way to explore the ocean, but it requires training and caution to avoid injury or danger.
- Scuba diving: Scuba diving involves using a self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (SCUBA) to explore the ocean. This can allow you to dive deeper and stay underwater for longer periods of time, but it requires more training, equipment, and preparation than snorkeling.
- Snuba: Snuba is a combination of snorkeling and scuba diving, in which a long hose connects a regulator to a tank on the surface, allowing you to breathe underwater without the need for heavy equipment.
By considering these alternatives, you can choose the underwater activity that’s right for you and enjoy all that the ocean has to offer.
Cheap vs Expensive
When it comes to snorkels, there are many options available at a wide range of price points. While a cheap snorkel may seem like a good bargain, it’s important to consider the potential drawbacks compared to a more expensive model.
Cheap snorkels may be less comfortable to wear and may not fit as securely, which can lead to air leaks and discomfort while snorkeling. They may also be made from lower-quality materials, which can affect their durability and longevity. In addition, cheap snorkels may not have features such as dry tops and purge valves, which can make them less effective and enjoyable to use.
On the other hand, more expensive snorkels often come with better materials and construction, which can make them more comfortable and durable. They may also have additional features such as dry tops and purge valves, which can make snorkeling more enjoyable and safe.
However, it’s important to note that a higher price tag doesn’t always guarantee better quality or features. It’s important to do your research and read reviews from other snorkelers to determine which models are worth the investment.
Ultimately, the decision between a cheap or expensive snorkel comes down to your budget and personal preferences. While a more expensive snorkel may offer additional features and durability, a budget-friendly option can still provide an enjoyable snorkeling experience if it fits properly and is made from quality materials.
When it comes to choosing the best snorkel, there are several top brands to consider. These brands are known for their quality, durability, and innovative features. Here are some of the top brands to look out for:
- Cressi: This Italian company has been producing high-quality snorkeling gear for over 70 years. Their snorkels are known for their comfortable mouthpieces, effective purge valves, and dry top features.
- Aqua Lung: Founded in 1943, Aqua Lung is a popular brand for snorkeling and diving equipment. Their snorkels are designed with innovative features such as the Pivot Dry Technology and ergonomic mouthpieces for maximum comfort.
- Scubapro: Scubapro is a well-known brand in the scuba diving industry, but they also produce high-quality snorkeling gear. Their snorkels are built with durable materials and feature dry-top technology and easy-to-use purge valves.
- Tusa: Tusa is a Japanese brand that specializes in snorkeling and diving equipment. Their snorkels are designed with features such as a hyper-dry system and angled purge chambers to ensure maximum performance and ease of use.
- Mares: Mares is another popular brand in the diving and snorkeling industry. Their snorkels are known for their comfortable mouthpieces and advanced features such as dry top technology and anti-splash guards.
When looking for the best snorkel, consider these top brands and their unique features to find the perfect one for your needs.
Pros and Cons of Snorkels
Snorkeling is a popular and fun way to explore the underwater world, and snorkels are an essential piece of equipment for this activity. Here are some of the pros and cons to consider when using a snorkel:
- Easy to use: Snorkels are relatively simple to use, requiring only that you breathe through the tube while your face is in the water.
- Low cost: Compared to other underwater equipment such as scuba diving gear, snorkels are relatively inexpensive, making them an accessible option for many people.
- Enhances the snorkeling experience: A good snorkel can enhance your snorkeling experience by allowing you to breathe easily and comfortably while exploring the underwater world.
- Improves safety: Using a snorkel can help keep your head above water while you explore, reducing the risk of fatigue or inhaling water.
- Limited range: Snorkels are limited in terms of the depth and duration of your dives. You can only go as deep as the length of your snorkel tube allows, and you must surface periodically to breathe.
- Water entry: It can be difficult to enter the water with a snorkel on, and the water pressure can make it hard to breathe.
- Potential discomfort: Some snorkels can cause discomfort or irritation, especially if they don’t fit properly.
- Potential safety risks: If you don’t use a snorkel properly, it can pose certain safety risks such as inhaling water, and it’s important to use caution and stay within your limits.
By considering these pros and cons, you can determine whether snorkeling with a snorkel is the right choice for you, and choose the best snorkel to suit your needs.