If you’re looking to take your shark fishing game to the next level, then having the right shark fishing rod is essential. From light-action rods perfect for small sharks to powerful outfits designed for tackle-busting trophys, it can be hard to know which rod is best suited to your needs. To help make that decision easier, we’ve rounded up a selection of the 8 best shark fishing rods currently available on the market. Read on to discover which one is right for you, no matter what kind of shark angling you might be doing.
We may earn a small commission on certain links, at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
If you want the absolute gold standard for shark fishing rod and reel combo, you should check out the PEN Squall saltwater fishing combo. Built off a heavy-duty graphite blank, this PENN boat rod will be sufficient, no matter the shark fishing situation. You get a size 60 reel made by PENN, which is smooth as butter. The squall reels are known to be bulletproof, and fully capable of taking large sharks. With this shark fishing rod combo, you will be able to take on pretty much any shark you want at half the price of professional setups.
- Inner rings inside reel tell you how much line you have left
- 30 LB's of drag puts the stop on most large sharks
- Fantastic priced combo
- Can target most species of shark
- This setup isn't fantastic for casting far distances
- 6' Heavy 1 PC
- Rod rated from 30-80 LB test
- Size 60 Squall
- 30 LBS of drag
- Line Capacity of 50LB/370 yards
There is a huge relation to PENN as we look deeper into what makes a satisfactory shark rod. This rod comes in at 12' long and is rated heavy, perfect for pulling in those larger-sized sharks. Allowing you more than enough casting distance due to its enormous length. You will be able to take advantage of its stiff backbone, all while having the casting benefit and leverage of a 12-foot rod! Not to mention you get the even bigger benefit of being made for a conventional style reel; which means you can get a bigger style reel that can handle these awesome predators.
- Very sleek looking rod
- Great grip due to outside heat shrink
- Easy to transport due to it's 2 piece design
- Not rated much past 40lbs in the surf conventional style and if you can find them they sell out fast
- 12' 2p Conventional style rod
- Heavy rated
- Heat shrink handle
Ugly Stik's "Tiger Elite" rods are one of the most well-rounded saltwater spinning rods of all time. Shakespear makes a nearly indestructible rod, which is needed for dealing with the abuse that shark fishing causes on your gear. Furthermore, this 7' 1-Piece heavy action spinning rod comes at such an affordable price, for the quality you get as well. This would be a fantastic shark rod for soaking bait from shore, you can even use it for other species and applications, which is the beauty of the Ugly Stik!
- Sensitive tip with enough backbone to land monsters
- Durability to the max
- Absolutely bulletproof
- Can do it all
- Longer sizes of the tiger elite are harder to come by so 7' is standard
- 7' - Heavy - 1pcs
- Stainless steel guides
- EVA foam handle
If you're looking for a good surf shark fishing rod, then this would be a great combination. Its 2-Piece design will allow you to travel a lot easier while still having the perfect length of the pole. With quality guides for smooth line guiding and a comfortable cork grip, you will be able to cast this rod a country mile. Furthermore, this rod will also allow you to feel bites a lot easier due to its sensitive tip.
- Sensitive tip to see bites
- Quality aluminum oxide guides
- Comfortable cork grip rear
- Not available in higher line ratings past 40 LBS
- 12' 2 Piece
- Heavy action
This reel is made by the legendary fishing company, PENN. With this 7' medium-heavy spinning rod and reel combo setup, you will be able to tackle the most common sharks, all with ease. Featuring a bulletproof design, this CNC'd reel will cast smoothly while still offering enough drag-stopping power. It has everything you would look for in a shark fishing combo and none of the extra fluff.
- Lightweight rod for easy casting
- Great for smaller sized sharks on light tackle
- Tip of rod is on the thinner side
- Graphite blank
- CNC'd reel
- Textured grip handle