Shark fishing is a thrilling and exciting sport that attracts anglers from all over the world. With its warm waters and diverse marine life, New Smyrna Florida has become a popular destination for shark fishing enthusiasts. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a beginner, there’s nothing quite like the adrenaline rush of reeling in a big shark. In this blog post, we’ll explore the best shark fishing spots in New Smyrna Florida, the types of sharks you can catch, the best baits and lures to use, recommended gear, local regulations and licenses, expert tips and tricks, and where to stay during your shark fishing trip. So, get ready to dive into the world of shark fishing in New Smyrna Florida and discover everything you need to know to plan your next fishing adventure.
Best Shark Fishing Spots in New Smyrna Florida
New Smyrna Florida is known for its excellent shark fishing spots. Here are some of the best places to go shark fishing in New Smyrna Florida:
- Ponce Inlet: This is a popular spot for shark fishing, with a deep-water channel and a jetty that attracts many different types of sharks.
- New Smyrna Beach: This beach has a long history of shark fishing, with a variety of species to be found, including bull sharks, blacktips, and hammerheads.
- Mosquito Lagoon: This shallow lagoon is a prime spot for catching lemon sharks, bull sharks, and blacktips.
- Canaveral National Seashore: This protected area is home to a diverse range of marine life, including sharks. You can fish from the shore or take a charter boat out to deeper waters.
- Sebastian Inlet: This inlet is known for its strong currents, which make it a great spot for catching sharks. Species commonly caught here include blacktips, bull sharks, and sandbar sharks.
Follow all local regulations and guidelines when shark fishing in New Smyrna Florida.
Types of Sharks You Can Catch in New Smyrna Florida
New Smyrna Florida is known for its abundant and diverse shark population. Here are some of the types of sharks you can catch when shark fishing in New Smyrna Florida:
- Blacktip Shark: The blacktip shark is one of the most commonly caught sharks in New Smyrna Florida. They can be found in shallow waters and are known for their high jumps and fast runs.
- Bull Shark: Bull sharks are known for their aggressive behavior and can be found in both freshwater and saltwater. They are commonly caught in New Smyrna Florida and can grow up to 11 feet in length.
- Hammerhead Shark: The hammerhead shark is a distinctive-looking shark with a hammer-shaped head. They can be found in deeper waters and are known for their strength and endurance.
- Lemon Shark: The lemon shark is a slow-moving shark that can be found in shallow waters. They are known for their distinctive yellow coloration and are a popular catch among shark fishermen.
- Tiger Shark: The tiger shark is a large, aggressive shark that can be found in deeper waters. They are known for their distinctive striped pattern and are a challenging catch for even the most experienced fishermen.
Try your best to handle sharks with care and release them safely back into the water after catching them.
Best Time of Year for Shark Fishing in New Smyrna Florida
The best time of year for shark fishing in New Smyrna Florida is from May through September, with peak shark fishing season being in June and July. During this time, the water temperatures are warmer, and the sharks are more active and plentiful.
- Blacktip Shark: Blacktip sharks are prevalent year-round in New Smyrna Florida, but they are often more active during the summer months from May to September.
- Bull Shark: Bull sharks are often caught in the summer months from May to September when they are more active in the warmer waters.
- Hammerhead Shark: Hammerhead sharks are often caught in the fall and winter months from October to March when they are more active in the cooler waters.
- Lemon Shark: Lemon sharks are often caught in the spring and summer months from March to September when they are more active in the shallow waters.
- Tiger Shark: Tiger sharks are more commonly caught in the summer months from May to August when they are more active in the warmer waters of New Smyrna Florida.
Please note that these timeframes are not set in stone and may vary depending on the weather and ocean conditions. It’s always best to consult with local experts and check the weather and water conditions before planning a shark fishing trip.
Best Baits and Lures for Shark Fishing in New Smyrna Florida
- Live Bait: Live bait is often the most effective bait for shark fishing in New Smyrna Florida. Common live baits include mullet, bluefish, and ladyfish.
- Cut Bait: Cut bait is another effective bait option for shark fishing in New Smyrna Florida. Cut up pieces of squid, mackerel, and other oily fish work well.
- Chunks of Tuna: Chunks of tuna are a favorite among shark fishermen in New Smyrna Florida, particularly for targeting larger species such as tiger sharks.
- Shark Rigs: A shark rig typically consists of a wire leader and a circle hook. Circle hooks are often preferred because they tend to hook the shark in the corner of the mouth, making it easier to release the shark unharmed.
- Lures: While live and cut baits are often the go-to for shark fishing, lures can also be effective. Large swimming plugs and jigs in bright colors can attract the attention of hungry sharks.
Check local fishing regulations and handle sharks with care to ensure their safe release back into the water.
Recommended Gear for Shark Fishing in New Smyrna Florida
Shark fishing in New Smyrna Florida requires specialized gear to ensure both the safety of the angler and the shark. Here are some of the recommended gear for shark fishing in New Smyrna Florida:
- Rod and Reel: A sturdy, heavy-duty rod and reel combo is essential for shark fishing in New Smyrna Florida. A good rule of thumb is to use a rod with a line weight rating of at least 50-80 pounds, paired with a large saltwater reel with a high line capacity.
- Wire Leaders: To prevent sharks from biting through the fishing line, wire leaders are a must-have when shark fishing in New Smyrna Florida. Heavy-duty wire leaders with a minimum of 300-pound test strength are recommended.
- Hooks: Circle hooks are often preferred for shark fishing in New Smyrna Florida, as they are less likely to cause harm to the shark and make it easier to release them unharmed.
- Gloves: Thick, durable gloves can protect your hands from getting cut on the wire leader and hooks when handling sharks.
- Gaffs: A gaff can be useful for bringing larger sharks onto the boat, but it’s important to use them with caution to avoid injuring the shark.
- Pliers and Cutters: Pliers and cutters can come in handy when removing hooks from the shark’s mouth and cutting wire leaders.
- Life Jackets: Safety should always come first when shark fishing in New Smyrna Florida, and wearing a life jacket can help prevent accidents and ensure your safety in case of an emergency.
Best Shark Fishing Charters in New Smyrna Florida
New Smyrna Florida is home to some of the best shark fishing charters in the state. Here are some of the best shark fishing charters in New Smyrna Florida:
- Sea Spirit Fishing: Sea Spirit Fishing is a popular charter company that offers shark fishing trips in New Smyrna Beach. They provide all the necessary gear, and their experienced captains know where to find the best shark fishing spots.
- On The Hook Charters: On The Hook Charters offers both inshore and offshore shark fishing trips, giving anglers the opportunity to target a variety of shark species. Their captains have years of experience and will provide you with everything you need for a successful trip.
- Ponce Inlet Watersports: Ponce Inlet Watersports is another great option for shark fishing charters in New Smyrna Beach. Their boats are equipped with top-of-the-line gear, and their captains have a wealth of knowledge about the local waters and the best places to find sharks.
- New Smyrna Beach Shark Fishing Charters: As their name suggests, New Smyrna Beach Shark Fishing Charters specializes in shark fishing trips. They offer both private and shared charters, and their experienced captains will guide you to the best shark fishing spots in the area.
- Reel Deal Offshore Fishing: Reel Deal Offshore Fishing is a highly rated charter company that offers a variety of fishing trips, including shark fishing. Their knowledgeable and friendly captains will make sure you have an unforgettable experience and help you catch some impressive sharks.
Regulations and Licenses for Shark Fishing in New Smyrna Florida
Before heading out for a shark fishing trip in New Smyrna Florida, it’s important to be aware of the regulations and licensing requirements to ensure a legal and responsible fishing experience. Here are some of the regulations and licenses you should be aware of for shark fishing in New Smyrna Florida:
- Fishing License: In Florida, a fishing license is required for all anglers over the age of 16 who fish in saltwater. Licenses can be purchased online or at local tackle shops and fishing supply stores.
- Shark Species Regulations: It’s important to note that not all shark species are legal to catch, and regulations can vary depending on the species and size of the shark. For example, certain species such as Great Whites are strictly protected and cannot be caught, while other species like Blacktips have size and bag limits.
- Gear Restrictions: In Florida, the use of certain fishing gear is prohibited when fishing for sharks, such as using multiple hooks on a single line, fishing with nets or traps, and using chum to attract sharks.
- Reporting Requirements: In some cases, anglers may be required to report their shark catch to the state, and a federal Highly Migratory Species (HMS) permit may be required for certain species. It’s important to check with local fishing authorities to determine reporting requirements and necessary permits.
- Size and Bag Limits: Size and bag limits can vary depending on the species of shark, and it’s important to know and follow these regulations to ensure sustainable shark populations. It’s also important to note that some species, like Hammerheads, have a catch-and-release only policy.
Be sure to check the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) website for the latest regulations and licensing requirements before heading out on a shark fishing trip in New Smyrna Florida.
Where to Stay When Shark Fishing in New Smyrna Florida
If you’re planning a shark fishing trip in New Smyrna Florida, there are several accommodation options to consider:
- Vacation Rentals: New Smyrna Florida has a variety of vacation rental options, including condos, apartments, and houses. Many vacation rentals are located close to the beach and fishing spots, making them a convenient option for shark fishing enthusiasts.
- Hotels and Motels: New Smyrna Florida has a range of hotels and motels to suit different budgets and preferences. Many of these accommodations are located close to the beach and fishing spots, making them a convenient option for shark fishing enthusiasts.
- Camping: If you prefer to stay in nature, New Smyrna Florida has several campgrounds and RV parks. Camping can be a fun and affordable option for shark fishing enthusiasts, and many campgrounds are located close to the beach and fishing spots.
- Bed and Breakfasts: If you’re looking for a more personal and cozy experience, New Smyrna Florida has several bed and breakfasts to choose from. Many bed and breakfasts are located in historic homes and offer a unique and charming atmosphere.
- Fishing Lodges: For a truly immersive shark fishing experience, consider staying at a fishing lodge. Fishing lodges offer guided fishing trips, comfortable accommodations, and other amenities for fishing enthusiasts.
No matter what type of accommodation you choose, be sure to book in advance, especially during peak fishing season. By staying close to the beach and fishing spots, you can maximize your fishing time and enjoy a memorable shark fishing experience in New Smyrna Florida.
Expert Tips and Tricks for Successful Shark Fishing in New Smyrna Florida
If you’re planning a shark fishing trip in New Smyrna Florida, here are some expert tips and tricks to increase your chances of a successful and enjoyable fishing experience:
- Use the Right Equipment: Shark fishing requires specialized equipment, including heavy-duty rods, reels, and lines. Be sure to use high-quality gear and have a variety of hooks, leaders, and weights on hand.
- Choose the Right Bait: Sharks are attracted to a variety of baits, including live bait like mullet and bluefish, as well as cut bait like squid, bonito, and mackerel. Experiment with different baits to see what works best for the species you’re targeting.
- Know the Tides and Moon Phases: Sharks are more active during certain tides and moon phases, so it’s important to plan your fishing trip accordingly. Generally, sharks are more active during high tides and full or new moons.
- Be Patient: Shark fishing requires patience, as you may need to wait for a while before getting a bite. It’s important to stay calm and be prepared to wait for the right moment.
- Practice Catch-and-Release: Many shark species are strictly protected and should be caught and released in a responsible manner. Be sure to handle the shark carefully and release it quickly to minimize stress and damage.
- Hire a Local Guide: Hiring a local shark fishing guide can greatly increase your chances of success, as they have expert knowledge of the best fishing spots and techniques in the area.
- Follow Local Regulations: It’s important to follow local fishing regulations and restrictions, including size and bag limits, gear restrictions, and reporting requirements. Check with local fishing authorities to ensure that you are fishing responsibly and legally.
By following these expert tips and tricks, you can increase your chances of a successful and enjoyable shark fishing trip in New Smyrna Florida.
In conclusion, New Smyrna Florida is a fantastic destination for shark fishing enthusiasts. With a variety of shark species to catch and a range of fishing spots to explore, there’s something for every level of angler. By using the right baits and lures, having the right gear, and following local regulations and guidelines, you can increase your chances of a successful shark fishing trip. And with plenty of accommodation options to choose from, you can find the perfect place to stay while you enjoy all that New Smyrna Florida has to offer. So why not plan your next shark fishing trip to New Smyrna Florida and experience the thrill of the catch in this beautiful and exotic location.
Meet Nic Armitage, a devoted outdoors enthusiast with an insatiable love for fishing, boating, and a wide range of adventurous activities. His passion for the great outdoors knows no bounds. Nic is your trusted guide into the world of nature, sharing his experiences and expertise on the Shaman Mountain Sports and Outdoors Blog.