Shark fishing is an exhilarating and challenging activity that has gained popularity in recent years, drawing anglers from all over the world to try their hand at reeling in these powerful predators. New York, with its vast coastline and diverse marine life, is an excellent destination for shark fishing enthusiasts. However, to have a successful and enjoyable trip, it’s essential to have a good understanding of the best locations, gear, baits, and techniques to use. In this guide, we’ll provide you with all the information you need to plan your shark fishing adventure in New York, whether you’re a seasoned angler or a beginner.
Best Shark Fishing Spots in In New York
New York has many great shark fishing spots, here are some of the best:
- Montauk Point – Located on the eastern tip of Long Island, Montauk Point is a well-known spot for shark fishing. The waters here are rich with baitfish, making it an attractive location for sharks.
- Fire Island Inlet – This inlet is located just a short distance from New York City and offers great shark fishing opportunities. The waters here are deep and there are plenty of baitfish, making it an ideal location for sharks.
- Jones Beach State Park – This park offers a great location for shark fishing as it has a long stretch of beach and deep waters. There are also several jetties in the area which are great for fishing.
- Block Island – Located just off the coast of Rhode Island, Block Island is a popular spot for shark fishing. The waters here are deep and there are plenty of baitfish, making it an ideal location for sharks.
- Great South Bay – This bay is located on the south shore of Long Island and is known for its large population of sand sharks. The bay is also home to other species of sharks, such as brown sharks and dusky sharks.
Overall, New York offers a variety of great shark fishing spots for both experienced and novice anglers to enjoy.
Types of Sharks You Can Catch in In New York
n the waters of New York, you can catch several species of sharks, including the sandbar shark, dusky shark, sand tiger shark, thresher shark, mako shark, and blue shark. Each of these species has its own unique characteristics.
- Sandbar Shark – The sandbar shark is a common species in New York waters, typically found in shallow waters close to shore. They can grow up to 8 feet long and have a brownish-grey coloration.
- Dusky Shark – The dusky shark is a larger species of shark that can grow up to 14 feet long. They are typically found in deeper waters and have a dark brownish-grey coloration.
- Sand Tiger Shark – The sand tiger shark is a formidable-looking shark that can grow up to 10 feet long. They are typically found near the ocean floor and have a distinctive, snaggletooth appearance.
- Thresher Shark – The thresher shark is a unique-looking shark with an elongated tail that they use to stun prey. They can grow up to 20 feet long and are typically found in deeper waters.
- Mako Shark – The mako shark is a highly prized game fish that can grow up to 10 feet long. They are known for their incredible speed and acrobatic leaps out of the water.
- Blue Shark – The blue shark is a sleek, fast-swimming shark that can grow up to 12 feet long. They are typically found in deeper waters and have a blue-grey coloration.
It’s important to note that some species of sharks may be protected and have regulations in place, so it’s essential to check local laws and regulations before going shark fishing
Best Time of Year for Shark Fishing in In New York
The best time of year for shark fishing in New York is typically from late spring through early fall, when the waters are warm and the sharks are more active. Specifically, the months of June, July, and August are usually the prime time for shark fishing in New York.
- Blue Shark – Blue sharks are known for their blue-colored skin and are usually found in offshore waters. Best months: June to September.
- Thresher Shark – Thresher sharks have a long tail that they use to stun their prey and are often found near the surface. Best months: August to November.
- Mako Shark – Mako sharks are fast swimmers and can grow up to 13 feet in length. Best months: June to September.
- Hammerhead Shark – Hammerhead sharks are known for their distinctive head shape and are often found near the bottom. Best months: July to September.
- Sandbar Shark – Sandbar sharks are common inshore sharks that prefer shallow waters. Best months: June to September.
- Dusky Shark – Dusky sharks are large sharks that can reach up to 14 feet in length and are often found in deeper waters. Best months: June to September.
- Tiger Shark – Tiger sharks are known for their striped skin and are often found in warm coastal waters. Best months: August to October.
With the proper precautions and knowledge, shark fishing in New York can be an exhilarating experience for anglers who are passionate about this exciting and challenging sport.
Best Baits and Lures for Shark Fishing in In New York
- Fresh bait: Sharks are attracted to the smell of fresh bait, such as freshly caught fish or squid. Mackerel, bluefish, and bunker are popular choices for shark fishing in New York.
- Cut bait: Using cut pieces of bait can also be effective for attracting sharks. Some anglers prefer to use the heads, tails, or chunks of their fresh bait to lure in the sharks.
- Chum: Chumming the waters with a mix of fish parts and oil can also help to attract sharks to your area.
- Lures: Some anglers prefer to use lures instead of bait. Heavy-duty jigs or metal spoons can mimic the movement of live bait and be effective for catching sharks.
With the right choice of bait or lure and proper fishing techniques, you can increase your chances of catching a shark in the waters of New York.
Recommended Gear for Shark Fishing in In New York
Shark fishing in New York requires specialized gear that can handle the power and strength of these apex predators. Here are some essential pieces of gear that are recommended for shark fishing in New York:
- Heavy-Duty Rod and Reel: A strong rod and reel combination capable of handling at least 80-pound test line is recommended for shark fishing. It’s also important to have a reel with a good drag system and plenty of line capacity.
- Wire Leader: Sharks have sharp teeth that can easily cut through traditional fishing lines. Using a wire leader with a minimum of 150-pound test can help prevent the shark from biting through the line.
- Hooks: Circle hooks are recommended for shark fishing as they are less likely to be swallowed by the shark and can also help prevent injury to the shark.
- Fighting Harness: Fighting a large shark can be a physically demanding task, so using a fighting harness can help distribute the weight and reduce fatigue.
- Gaff: A gaff can be used to help bring the shark on board the boat. It’s important to use a gaff with a single hook and avoid gaffing the shark near its vital organs.
- Life Jackets: Safety should always be a top priority when shark fishing. Wearing a life jacket can help keep you afloat in case of an accident or emergency.
Remember to always check local fishing regulations for gear restrictions and requirements.
Best Shark Fishing Charters in In New York
If you’re looking for a memorable and successful shark fishing experience in New York, booking a fishing charter can be a great option. Here are some of the best shark fishing charters in New York:
- Island Current Fleet: This fishing charter operates out of City Island in the Bronx and offers shark fishing trips to nearby waters. Their experienced crew provides all the necessary gear and instruction to help you catch the big one.
- Shark Shark Tuna Fishing Charters: Based out of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Shark Shark Tuna Fishing Charters offers shark fishing trips to waters off the coast of New York. Their team of experienced captains and crew members will work to help you catch sharks of various species.
- Osprey Fishing Fleet: This fishing charter operates out of Port Jefferson, Long Island, and offers half-day and full-day shark fishing trips. Their boats are equipped with the latest technology and gear to help you have a successful and enjoyable fishing experience.
- Montauk Fishing Charters: Montauk, located on the eastern tip of Long Island, is known as one of the top shark fishing destinations in the world. Montauk Fishing Charters offers a variety of shark fishing trips to help you catch species such as mako, thresher, and blue sharks.
- The Long Run Fishing Charter: This fishing charter operates out of Freeport, Long Island, and offers customized shark fishing trips to meet your specific needs and interests. Their experienced crew will work to help you catch various species of sharks while providing a safe and enjoyable fishing experience.
It’s important to book your shark fishing charter in advance and to communicate your expectations and preferences with the charter operator to ensure the best possible experience.
Regulations and Licenses for Shark Fishing in In New York
If you’re planning on shark fishing in New York, it’s important to be aware of the regulations and licenses that apply to shark fishing. Here’s some information to help you understand the requirements:
- Fishing License: To fish for sharks in New York waters, you must have a valid New York State recreational saltwater fishing license.
- Shark Endorsement: In addition to a fishing license, you must also have a shark endorsement on your license to legally fish for sharks in New York. This endorsement is free and can be obtained by filling out a separate application online or at any New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) office.
- Minimum Size Limits: There are minimum size limits for some shark species in New York, which means that you may only keep sharks that are larger than a certain size. These size limits vary by species and are designed to help protect juvenile sharks. It’s important to check the latest regulations from the DEC for the specific size limits that apply to the shark species you are targeting.
- Bag Limits: There are also bag limits for some shark species in New York, which means that you may only keep a certain number of sharks per day or per trip. Again, these bag limits vary by species and are designed to help protect shark populations. Make sure to check the latest regulations from the DEC for the specific bag limits that apply to the shark species you are targeting.
- Release Protocols: It’s important to handle sharks carefully and release them safely to ensure their survival. The DEC provides guidelines for releasing sharks, including the use of circle hooks and the proper handling and release techniques.
- Reporting Requirements: If you catch a shark in New York, you are required to report it to the DEC. This information helps the DEC monitor shark populations and improve management efforts. You can report your catch online or by phone.
Make sure to familiarize yourself with these regulations and requirements before heading out shark fishing in New York.
Where to Stay When Shark Fishing in In New York
If you’re planning a shark fishing trip in New York, you’ll want to find a place to stay that is convenient and comfortable. Here are some options for accommodations near popular shark fishing locations in New York:
- Montauk: Montauk is a popular destination for shark fishing in New York, with a variety of charter boats available for hire. There are many accommodation options in Montauk, ranging from budget-friendly motels to luxury resorts. Some popular options include the Montauk Manor, Gurney’s Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa, and the Surf Lodge.
- Long Island: Long Island is home to a variety of shark species, and there are many towns and cities along the coast that offer accommodation options. Some popular places to stay include Southampton, Sag Harbor, and Greenport.
- Fire Island: Fire Island is a barrier island off the coast of Long Island that is known for its beautiful beaches and excellent fishing opportunities. There are several small towns on Fire Island that offer accommodation options, including Ocean Beach, Cherry Grove, and Davis Park.
- Brooklyn: If you prefer to stay in the city, Brooklyn is a good option for shark fishing in New York. There are several charter boats available for hire in Brooklyn, and there are plenty of accommodation options throughout the borough. Some popular neighborhoods to stay in include Williamsburg, Greenpoint, and Park Slope.
No matter where you choose to stay when shark fishing in New York, make sure to book your accommodation in advance, especially during peak season.
Expert Tips and Tricks for Successful Shark Fishing in In New York
f you’re planning to go shark fishing in New York, here are some expert tips and tricks to help you have a successful and enjoyable trip:
- Use the right gear: When shark fishing in New York, you’ll need heavy-duty fishing gear that can handle the weight and strength of these large fish. Make sure to use a strong, sturdy rod, a heavy-duty reel, and a strong fishing line. You’ll also need a good selection of hooks, sinkers, and leaders.
- Use the right bait: Sharks are attracted to a variety of different baits, including live bait, dead bait, and artificial lures. Some popular baits for shark fishing in New York include bluefish, mackerel, squid, and bunker. Make sure to bring a variety of bait options to see what the sharks are biting on.
- Know the regulations: Before you head out shark fishing in New York, make sure to familiarize yourself with the regulations and licensing requirements. You’ll need a valid saltwater fishing license, and there are also restrictions on the size and number of sharks you can catch. Make sure to check the latest regulations from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.
- Know the best spots: Sharks can be found in a variety of locations in New York, including near shore, offshore, and around popular fishing areas like reefs and wrecks. Talk to local fishermen or charter captains to get tips on the best spots to find sharks.
- Be patient: Shark fishing can be a waiting game, so make sure to bring plenty of food, water, and sunscreen. It may take some time to find the right spot and get a bite, but with patience and persistence, you’ll increase your chances of a successful catch.
By following these expert tips and tricks, you’ll be well on your way to a successful shark fishing trip in New York.
Shark fishing in New York can be an exciting and rewarding experience for anglers of all skill levels. From the sandy beaches of Long Island to the deep waters offshore, there are a variety of locations and species to target. To have the best chance of success, it’s important to use the right gear and bait, know the regulations and licensing requirements, and be patient while waiting for a bite. By following these tips and tricks, you’ll be well-prepared to have a safe, enjoyable, and successful shark fishing adventure in New York.
Meet Nic Armitage, a devoted outdoors enthusiast with an insatiable love for fishing, boating, and a wide range of adventurous activities. His passion for the great outdoors knows no bounds. Nic is your trusted guide into the world of nature, sharing his experiences and expertise on the Shaman Mountain Sports and Outdoors Blog.