If you’re an avid angler looking for a thrilling and challenging experience, shark fishing in Mississippi might just be the adventure you’re looking for. With its miles of beautiful coastline and abundant shark populations, Mississippi offers plenty of opportunities for anglers to reel in these powerful and elusive creatures. However, shark fishing requires careful planning, knowledge, and preparation to ensure a safe and successful experience. In this guide, we’ll provide you with essential tips and tricks for shark fishing in Mississippi, including the best time and spots to fish, recommended gear and bait, licensing and regulations, and expert advice for a successful and responsible fishing trip.
Best Shark Fishing Spots in Mississippi
Mississippi has several great spots for shark fishing. Here are some of the best:
- Gulfport Pier: This pier is known for its shark fishing opportunities, with plenty of space and amenities for anglers.
- Ship Island: This barrier island is a popular destination for shark fishing charters and offers a variety of shark species.
- Biloxi Bay Bridge: This bridge is a popular spot for shark fishing, with anglers reporting good catches of blacktip and bull sharks.
- Deer Island: This island offers some great shark fishing opportunities, with anglers reporting catches of blacktip, spinner, and hammerhead sharks.
- Dauphin Island: Located just across the Alabama border, Dauphin Island is a popular destination for shark fishing charters and offers a variety of shark species.
Mississippi offers a great variety of shark fishing spots for both seasoned and novice anglers to enjoy.
Types of Sharks You Can Catch in Mississippi
There are several species of sharks that can be caught in the waters around Mississippi. Some of the most common types of sharks you can catch in Mississippi include:
- Blacktip Shark: These sharks are common in Mississippi waters and can be caught year-round. They are known for their aerial displays when hooked and can provide an exciting fight.
- Bull Shark: These sharks are known for their aggressive behavior and can be caught in Mississippi waters during the warmer months. They are considered to be one of the most dangerous sharks due to their tendency to swim in shallow waters.
- Hammerhead Shark: These sharks are known for their distinctive head shape and can be caught in Mississippi waters during the summer months. They can provide a challenging fight for anglers due to their size and strength.
- Spinner Shark: These sharks are known for their acrobatic displays when hooked and can be caught in Mississippi waters during the summer months. They are also known for their impressive jumps and spins.
Mississippi’s waters offer a diverse range of shark species to catch, providing a thrilling and rewarding experience for anglers.
Best Time of Year for Shark Fishing in Mississippi
The best time of year for shark fishing in Mississippi is during the warmer months, from May to September. This is when the waters are at their warmest, and many shark species migrate closer to the coast in search of food.
Here’s a numbered list with brief descriptions of when each shark species can be caught in Mississippi:
- Blacktip Shark – Can be caught in Mississippi waters from April to October. These sharks are most abundant during the summer months.
- Bull Shark – Best chances in Mississippi waters are from May to September. These sharks are known for their preference for warm waters and can be found in shallow waters.
- Hammerhead Shark – Can be found in Mississippi waters from May to August. These sharks are known to migrate close to the shore during the summer months.
- Spinner Shark – Are in Mississippi waters from May to September. These sharks are known for their acrobatic displays when hooked and can provide an exciting fight.
Whether targeting Blacktip, Bull, Hammerhead, or Spinner Sharks, the warmer months in Mississippi offer great opportunities for anglers looking to catch these exciting and challenging fish.
Best Baits and Lures for Shark Fishing in Mississippi
Shark fishing in Mississippi can be an exciting and rewarding experience, but it’s important to use the right baits and lures to attract these powerful predators. Here are some of the best baits and lures for shark fishing in Mississippi:
- Whole fish – Sharks are opportunistic feeders and are attracted to the scent of fresh fish. Using a whole fish, such as mullet or mackerel, can be an effective bait for catching sharks.
- Cut bait – Cutting up a fresh fish and using pieces as bait can also be effective for shark fishing. This can help release more scent into the water, attracting sharks from a greater distance.
- Live bait – Live bait, such as small fish or crabs, can be used to attract sharks. This can be a more challenging approach but can yield big rewards for experienced anglers.
- Chum – Using chum, which is a mixture of fish parts and blood, can create a feeding frenzy and attract sharks to your fishing area.
- Lures – There are also a variety of lures designed specifically for shark fishing, such as large jigs or soft plastic baits. These can be effective in enticing sharks to strike.
By using the right baits and lures and practicing responsible fishing techniques, anglers can increase their chances of catching sharks while also protecting these important ocean predators.
Recommended Gear for Shark Fishing in Mississippi
Shark fishing in Mississippi requires specialized gear to handle these powerful predators. Here are some recommended gear items for shark fishing in Mississippi:
- Rod and Reel – A heavy-duty rod and reel are necessary for shark fishing, as they provide the strength and power needed to reel in these powerful predators. Look for a rod and reel combo specifically designed for shark fishing.
- Leader Material – When fishing for sharks, it’s important to use a heavy-duty leader material, such as wire or heavy mono-filament line, to prevent the shark’s sharp teeth from cutting through the line.
- Hooks – Choose hooks that are large enough to hold the bait and strong enough to handle the shark’s weight and strength. Circle hooks are a popular choice for shark fishing, as they often result in a higher percentage of hookups in the shark’s mouth rather than its throat.
- Gaff – A gaff is a long-handled hook used to secure and bring the shark aboard once it’s been reeled in. Look for a gaff with a large, strong hook and a sturdy handle.
- Fighting Belt – A fighting belt is a padded belt worn around the waist to provide support and help distribute the weight of the shark during the fight. This can help prevent fatigue and strain on the angler’s back.
- Gloves – Wearing gloves can help protect the angler’s hands from the shark’s teeth and rough skin. Look for gloves made from heavy-duty material, such as Kevlar.
Properly equipping yourself with the right shark fishing gear and adopting responsible fishing practices will ensure not only a successful fishing trip but also contribute to conservation efforts.
Best Shark Fishing Charters in Mississippi
Chartering a fishing boat with an experienced captain and crew can greatly increase your chances of catching sharks while ensuring a safe and enjoyable fishing trip. Here are some of the best shark fishing charters in Mississippi:
- Fish-On Charters – Located in Biloxi, Fish-On Charters offers full and half-day shark fishing trips on their well-equipped boats with experienced captains and top-of-the-line gear.
- Reel Obsession Charters – Based in Gulfport, Reel Obsession Charters offers shark fishing trips with a professional captain and crew who are passionate about providing their clients with an unforgettable fishing experience.
- Tuna Tripper Charters – Located in Long Beach, Tuna Tripper Charters offers a range of shark fishing trips, including day and night trips, with knowledgeable captains and quality gear.
- Silver Dollar III Charters – Based in Pass Christian, Silver Dollar III Charters offers offshore shark fishing trips with experienced guides and a modern, well-maintained fleet of boats.
- Distraction Charters – Located in Bay St. Louis, Distraction Charters offers shark fishing trips with an experienced captain and crew who are dedicated to providing a safe and successful fishing trip.
Whether you’re a seasoned angler or a novice, these shark fishing charters in Mississippi are sure to provide you with a thrilling and unforgettable experience.
Regulations and Licenses for Shark Fishing in Mississippi
Shark fishing regulations and licensing requirements in Mississippi are in place to protect both the sharks and the fishermen. Here is some important information on regulations and licenses for shark fishing in Mississippi:
- Licenses – All anglers over the age of 16 must have a valid Mississippi fishing license to fish for sharks. Licenses can be purchased online or at various retailers throughout the state.
- Seasons and bag limits – There are no specific seasons or bag limits for shark fishing in Mississippi, but all sharks caught must comply with size and possession limits set by the state.
- Species restrictions – Certain shark species, such as whale sharks and basking sharks, are protected and cannot be harvested. It’s important to familiarize yourself with the different shark species and their conservation status before planning a fishing trip.
- Gear restrictions – The use of certain gear, such as spears or firearms, is prohibited when fishing for sharks in Mississippi. It’s important to adhere to gear regulations to ensure safe and responsible fishing practices.
- Reporting requirements – If you catch a shark in Mississippi, you are required to report your catch to the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources. This helps the state monitor the shark population and enforce regulations.
Adhering to these regulations and licensing requirements will help ensure the long-term sustainability of shark populations in Mississippi.
Where to Stay When Shark Fishing in Mississippi
If you’re planning a shark fishing trip in Mississippi, you’ll want to find the perfect place to stay that’s both comfortable and convenient. Here are some top options for accommodations when shark fishing in Mississippi:
- Gulfport – Gulfport offers a variety of hotels, motels, and vacation rentals that are located close to the beach and within easy driving distance to popular shark fishing spots.
- Biloxi – Biloxi is another great option for accommodations, with a range of hotels and vacation rentals available that offer easy access to the beach and the Gulf of Mexico.
- Ocean Springs – If you’re looking for a more relaxed atmosphere, Ocean Springs is a charming town that offers a range of accommodations, including bed and breakfasts, vacation rentals, and hotels.
- Bay St. Louis – Bay St. Louis is a small town with a charming downtown area and a range of accommodations, including hotels and vacation rentals.
No matter where you choose to stay, make sure to book early, especially during peak fishing season, to ensure you have the best options available.
Expert Tips and Tricks for Successful Shark Fishing in Mississippi
Shark fishing in Mississippi can be an exhilarating and challenging experience. To help you make the most of your shark fishing trip, here are some expert tips and tricks for successful shark fishing in Mississippi:
- Use the right gear – When shark fishing in Mississippi, it’s important to use the right gear. This includes heavy-duty rods and reels, steel leaders, and circle hooks. Make sure your gear is in good condition and can handle the weight of a large shark.
- Choose the right bait – Sharks are attracted to a variety of bait, including fresh fish, squid, and chum. Experiment with different baits to see what works best for the species you’re targeting.
- Fish at the right time – Sharks are more active at dawn and dusk, so these are the best times to fish for them. Additionally, pay attention to the tides and fish during incoming or outgoing tides, as sharks are more likely to be feeding during these times.
- Locate the right spot – Sharks are typically found in deeper waters, so look for drop-offs, ledges, and channels that lead to deeper water. Additionally, look for areas where there is plenty of baitfish activity, as this is where sharks are likely to be hunting.
- Practice safe handling – When you catch a shark, it’s important to handle it safely and release it quickly. Use gloves to protect your hands and a de-hooking tool to remove the hook as quickly as possible. Keep the shark in the water as much as possible and avoid lifting it out of the water unless absolutely necessary.
With these expert tips and tricks in mind, you’re well on your way to having a successful and safe shark fishing trip in Mississippi.
In conclusion, if you’re planning a shark fishing trip to Mississippi, it’s important to do your research and prepare accordingly. From choosing the right gear and bait to knowing the best time and spot to fish, following these tips and tricks can help you increase your chances of having a successful and safe shark fishing experience. Always remember to prioritize the safety of yourself and the sharks, and to follow all local regulations and licensing requirements. With a bit of planning and patience, you can enjoy an unforgettable shark fishing adventure in Mississippi.
Meet Nic Armitage, a devoted outdoors enthusiast with an insatiable love for fishing, boating, and a wide range of adventurous activities. His passion for the great outdoors knows no bounds. Nic is your trusted guide into the world of nature, sharing his experiences and expertise on the Shaman Mountain Sports and Outdoors Blog.