The Osprey line of backpacks are some of the best you can find, and they have a backpack for everyone. For those who camp or hike often, there is an Osprey pack that will suit your needs perfectly. If you use it to carry around daily items like clothes and school supplies, then one with different compartments might be more suitable for you. Whether it’s hiking through the wilderness or taking care of errands in town, these packs offer comfort and plenty of space to do what you need. All that’s left is picking which style suits you best!
When it comes to buying a backpack, there are a lot of factors to consider. With so many options on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one for your needs. In this buyer’s guide, we’ll go over some of the key features to look for when shopping for the best Osprey backpacks.
- Purpose: The first thing to consider is what you’ll be using the backpack for. Are you looking for a backpack for hiking, travel, biking, or something else? Different activities require different features, so it’s important to choose a backpack that’s designed for your specific needs.
- Capacity: The capacity of the backpack is another important consideration. Osprey backpacks come in a range of sizes, from small daypacks to large multi-day packs. Think about how much gear you’ll be carrying and choose a backpack with the appropriate capacity.
- Fit: A backpack that fits properly is essential for comfort and ease of use. Look for Osprey backpacks with adjustable straps and harnesses to ensure a customized fit. Consider factors such as torso length, hip belt size, and shoulder strap width to find a backpack that fits you well.
- Features: Osprey backpacks come with a range of features, such as hydration compatibility, gear loops, and pockets. Consider what features are important for your intended use and look for backpacks that have those features.
- Durability: You want a backpack that can stand up to the rigors of your activities. Look for backpacks made from durable materials such as nylon or polyester and with reinforced stitching.
- Price: Osprey backpacks come at different price points, so consider your budget when choosing a backpack. Keep in mind that a higher-priced backpack may have additional features and be made from higher-quality materials, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the best choice for your needs.
- Reviews: Finally, be sure to read reviews from other users to get an idea of how the backpack performs in real-world conditions. Look for reviews from people who have used the backpack for activities similar to what you’ll be using it for.
By considering these factors, you can find the best Osprey backpacks for your needs. Whether you’re hiking, traveling, or biking, Osprey backpacks offer a range of options that are designed for different activities and needs.
Types of Osprey Backpacks
Osprey is known for producing high-quality backpacks that are designed for a range of activities. Here are some of the most common types of Osprey backpacks:
- Daypacks: Daypacks are small backpacks that are designed for day hikes or other activities where you don’t need to carry a lot of gear. Osprey daypacks typically have a capacity of around 10-30 liters and come with features such as hydration compatibility, zippered pockets, and gear loops.
- Backpacking Packs: Backpacking packs are designed for multi-day trips where you’ll need to carry more gear. Osprey backpacking packs typically have a capacity of 50-80 liters and come with features such as adjustable harnesses, hip belts, and back panels for added comfort.
- Travel Packs: Travel packs are designed for extended travel where you’ll be carrying your gear with you for extended periods of time. Osprey travel packs typically have a capacity of 40-80 liters and come with features such as lockable zippers, multiple compartments, and convertible straps that allow you to carry the pack like a backpack or a duffel bag.
- Biking Packs: Biking packs are designed for commuting, mountain biking, or road cycling. Osprey biking packs typically have a capacity of 10-30 liters and come with features such as helmet attachments, hydration compatibility, and padded shoulder straps.
- Water Sports Packs: Water sports packs are designed for activities such as kayaking, paddle boarding, or rafting. Osprey water sports packs typically have a capacity of 10-30 liters and come with features such as waterproof materials, roll-top closures, and gear loops for attaching paddles or other equipment.
Each type of Osprey backpack is designed with specific features and capacities to meet the needs of different activities. By choosing the right type of backpack for your needs, you can ensure that you have the features and capacity you need to make your activity as enjoyable as possible.
Top Picks for Best Osprey Backpacks
The Osprey Daylite Plus is the ultimate daypack for men, combining comfort, functionality, and versatility. With a 20-liter capacity, it offers ample space for daily essentials or day trips. The pack features a comfortable harness system, multiple organization pockets, and a hydration reservoir sleeve. The Daylite Plus is also compatible with Osprey's larger backpacks, allowing it to be used as an add-on daypack. It's durable construction and sleek design make it suitable for various activities, from hiking to commuting in the city.
- 20-liter capacity for essential storage
- Comfortable harness system for all-day wear
- Multiple organization pockets for easy access
- Limited capacity for longer trips
- Hydration reservoir sleeve for on-the-go hydration
- Compatibility with Osprey's larger backpacks
- Durable construction for long-lasting use
The Osprey Ultralight Stuff Pack is the best choice for those seeking an ultralight daypack without sacrificing functionality. This pack is made from high-quality nylon, making it durable and water-resistant. With a 20-liter capacity, it offers ample storage space for essentials. The pack is designed to be easily stowed away, as it can be stuffed into its own pocket for compact storage. It features a top zippered main compartment, a front zippered pocket, and stretch mesh side pockets for organization. The adjustable shoulder straps ensure a comfortable fit, while the webbing waist strap adds stability. This pack is perfect for day hikes, travel, or as an extra bag for unexpected needs.
- Ultralight and packable design
- Durable and water-resistant nylon material
- Ample storage capacity for essentials
- Limited padding and support
- No hydration reservoir compatibility
- Convenient front and side pockets for organization
- Comfortable adjustable shoulder straps
- Versatile for various activities and travel
The Osprey Daylite Backpack is the perfect choice for anyone who wants to travel light. It’s designed to carry your essentials without weighing you down, so it’s ideal for day trips and short excursions. You can even attach it to other Osprey bags as an additional storage option. Weighing in at just one pound, this pack has everything you need and nothing that you don’t. It features a large panel-loading main compartment with dual stretch mesh side pockets that provide additional storage options. Plus, there's a multi-function interior sleeve that can be used for either a hydration reservoir or tablet – making this pack great whether you're hiking on trails or commuting on public transport. With its mesh-covered die-cut foam back panel providing both comfort and ventilation, we know once you try it out, the Daylite will quickly become your go-to bag!
- Lightweight and durable construction.
- 13" laptop or tablet pocket
- Dual water bottle side mesh pockets
- Removable 20mm webbing hipbelt
- May be a bit small for some people
- Dimensions: 16.93 x 10.24 x 7.87 Inch
- GRS-certified recycled polyester
- Main bag 300D recycled polyester
- Accent and bottom 600D recycled polyester
The Osprey Daylite Cinch Backpack is one of the best top loading packs on the market. It’s lightweight, durable, and has tons of great features that make it perfect for everyone from students to hikers. This bag will be your go-to companion no matter what you need to carry with you – whether it's school books or hiking gear – because we designed this bag specifically with all those needs in mind. Its top-loading design makes getting things in and out easy while its cinch closing system ensures everything stays secure inside when traveling through crowded airports or busy streets. And its internal reservoir sleeve keeps water close at hand so hydration is never more than a sip away. Whether you want something stylish or functional for work or play, this is the perfect pack for everyone!
- Lightweight and sturdy
- Front Zip Pocket
- Comfortable mesh-covered die-cut foam backpanel
- Internal hydration sleeve to accommodate up to a 3L reservoir is sold separately
- Top loading access with cinch closing system for quick access to essentials
- Constructed from recycled materials with PFC-free DWR coating for sustainability
- Dimensions: 16.14H X 9.45W X 7.48D Inches Weight: .752 lbs Size: 15L
The Osprey Farpoint 40 is the perfect travel companion. It’s designed to meet carry-on size restrictions, so you can take it on your next trip without worrying about checking in your bag. With lockable zipper access to the main compartment and padded laptop & tablet sleeve, you won’t have to worry about any of your belongings getting damaged or lost while traveling. And with two front mesh water bottle pockets, an easy-access scratch-free pocket for sunglasses or devices, and a stowaway back panel, shoulder straps, and hip belt with zippered rear flap for protection – this pack will keep all of your items safe from harm so you can relax and enjoy your travels!
- Lightweight and durable
- Comfortable fit
- Stowaway harness and hip belt
- External gear attachment loops
- A few more pockets on the outside would be a nice addition
- 450D Polyester
- Large panel zip access to main compartment - 40L
- Meets carry-on size restrictions for most airlines (22h x 14w x 9d in at 3.48 lbs.)
- Lockable zipper access to the main compartment
- Fits up to most 16" laptops
The Osprey Porter 46 Travel Backpack is the perfect bag for anyone who wants to travel with ease. It’s designed to meet carry-on size restrictions, so it can be taken on most domestic flights without any issues. Plus, it has tons of pockets and compartments that make organization easy. This pack also features U-zip access to its main compartment, which means you don’t have to unpack everything just to get what you need out of your bag. And if you do want more space, there are compression straps that will help condense the contents when they aren’t full! There are also dual internal zippered organization side pockets and front panel - so all your essentials stay organized no matter where your travels take you.
- Stowaway harness and hip belt
- Lockable zippers on main and laptop compartments
- Front panel organization pocket for easy access to small travel items
- More exterior pockets would be nice
- Recycled 500D Nylon
- Meets carry-on size restrictions for most domestic airlines
- Dimensions 21.5" H x 14" W x 9" D
Are you an outdoor enthusiast? The Osprey Hikelite 18 is the perfect backpack for your next hike. It’s lightweight and durable, with a ventilated mesh back panel that keeps you cool and comfortable while on the trail. With plenty of pockets to store all your gear, this pack will become your favorite companion when exploring nature. You can even store your hydration bladder in its own sleeve! Plus it comes with an integrated rain cover to keep your gear safe and dry.
- Stretch mesh side pockets
- Removable webbing hipbelt
- Sternum strap with whistle
- Lightweight sturdy internal frame
- Not foldable due to lightweight internal frame
- Internal hydration sleeve
- Integrated rain cover
- Trekking pole attachment
- Scratch-resistant organization pocket
Osprey is the leading manufacturer of backpacks and outdoor gear. Their products are designed to be comfortable, durable, and versatile. They have been making high-quality equipment since 1974 in California. The Talon 22 is their best-selling men’s hiking pack with an adjustable harness that can fit any body type comfortably. It has a hydration sleeve so you can carry your water bottle or bladder without it getting in the way of anything else you might need on your hike. There are also plenty of pockets to store all your other essentials like snacks, keys, wallet, phone, etc. This product will make sure that everything stays organized while still being easily accessible when needed!
- Dual-zippered access to main compartment
- Two Zippered Hipbelt Pockets
- Lightweight and Comfortable
- Hydration sleeve could be larger
- Stow-On-The-Go Trekking Pole Attachment
- External Hydration Sleeve
The Osprey Women’s Hiking Backpack is the perfect pack for anyone who wants to explore. It has an internal hydration sleeve that accommodates up to a 3L reservoir (sold separately), so you can stay hydrated on long hikes. It also features ventilated back panel with an adjustable shoulder harness, stretches mesh pockets, and two zippered hip belt pockets. You can also stow your trekking poles on this pack when they’re not in use! And it comes with an integrated rain cover so you don’t have to worry about getting caught out in bad weather while hiking. If you love hiking and are looking for a great new backpack, then look no further than the Osprey Women's Hiking Backpack Sirrus 24.
- Internal Hydration Sleeve
- Ventilated tensioned mesh back panel
- Comfortable and durable
- More external pockets would be nice
- Integrated Raincover
- Trekking pole attachment
- Zippered Hipbelt Pockets
History of Osprey Backpacks
In 1974, Mike Pfotenhauer founded Osprey Packs, a backpack company that would revolutionize the outdoor industry. Pfotenhauer was an avid backpacker himself and noticed that most backpacks on the market were uncomfortable, poorly fitting, and not durable enough to withstand the rigors of the trail. He saw an opportunity to create better backpacks, and with his wife, Diane, he began making backpacks by hand in his Santa Cruz, California garage.
Pfotenhauer’s early backpacks were designed specifically for backpackers and featured adjustable harnesses and padded hip belts for added comfort. Osprey quickly gained a reputation for producing high-quality backpacks designed with the needs of backpackers in mind. As the backpacking industry grew in popularity, so did Osprey, and the company expanded its product line to include daypacks, biking packs, skiing and climbing packs, and more.
In the 1980s, Osprey introduced a range of innovative features that made its backpacks stand out from the competition. Osprey backpacks were among the first to include hydration compatibility, compression straps, and mesh back panels for added ventilation. These features made Osprey backpacks more comfortable, more functional, and more popular than ever before.
In 1993, Osprey introduced its first women-specific backpacks, which were designed with narrower shoulder straps and a shorter torso length to better fit the female anatomy. This was a significant innovation at the time, as most backpacks were designed as unisex. Osprey’s women-specific backpacks quickly gained popularity among female backpackers and helped to establish Osprey as a leader in the backpacking industry.
Today, Osprey is known for its innovative, sustainable, and comfortable backpacks that are designed for a variety of activities. The company continues to innovate, introducing new features such as anti-gravity suspension and custom-molded hip belts. Osprey is also committed to sustainability, using recycled materials in its backpacks and partnering with organizations such as Leave No Trace to promote responsible outdoor recreation.
Over the years, Osprey has won numerous awards for its backpacks, including Backpacker Magazine’s Editor’s Choice award, Outside Magazine’s Gear of the Year award, and National Geographic Adventure’s Best of Adventure award. With a reputation for producing high-quality, innovative backpacks that are designed for a range of activities, Osprey is one of the most respected and popular backpack brands in the world.
Care and Maintenance
Osprey backpacks are designed to withstand the rigors of the outdoors, but they still require proper care and maintenance to keep them in good condition. Here are some tips for caring for and maintaining your Osprey backpack:
- Clean your backpack regularly: Dirt, dust, and sweat can accumulate on your backpack, so it’s important to clean it regularly. Use a mild detergent and a soft-bristled brush to scrub any stains or dirt spots. Rinse the backpack with cold water and allow it to air dry.
- Store your backpack properly: When you’re not using your backpack, store it in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing it in direct sunlight or in a damp area. Make sure to empty the backpack of any contents and leave all zippers and pockets open to allow for proper ventilation.
- Keep your backpack dry: If your backpack gets wet, dry it as soon as possible. Hang it up to air dry, and avoid using a dryer, as the heat can damage the backpack’s materials.
- Repair any damages: If your backpack has any rips, tears, or other damages, it’s important to repair them as soon as possible. Osprey offers a repair service for its backpacks, and you can also find repair kits at outdoor gear stores.
- Treat your backpack with water-repellent: Over time, the water-repellent coating on your backpack may wear off. To keep your backpack water-resistant, you can treat it with a water-repellent spray or wash-in treatment.
- Follow the care instructions: Each Osprey backpack comes with care instructions specific to that model. Make sure to follow these instructions to ensure that your backpack stays in good condition and lasts for years to come.
By following these tips for caring for and maintaining your Osprey backpack, you can ensure that it stays in top condition and continues to serve you well on all of your outdoor adventures.
Meet Eric McGough, a seasoned adventurer and military veteran who traded his tech career for a life of outdoor exploration and freedom. He plans to travel the world, discover new adventures, and share information about great destinations, gear, and more on the Shaman Mountain Sports and Outdoors Blog.