When the temperature drops, staying warm and comfortable is essential. One way to do that is by investing in a good pair of long johns. Long johns are a type of thermal underwear designed to keep you warm in cold weather. With so many brands, materials, and styles to choose from, finding the right pair can be overwhelming. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the different types of long johns available, the benefits of wearing them, how to care for them, and much more. Whether you’re planning to hit the slopes or just want to stay cozy during the winter months, we’ve got you covered.
When it comes to staying warm and comfortable during the colder months, long johns are an essential piece of clothing. But with so many options on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the right pair. Here are some factors to consider when shopping for the best long johns:
- Material: Long johns come in a variety of materials, including cotton, wool, and synthetic blends. Cotton is a popular choice for its softness and breathability, while wool is great for warmth and moisture-wicking. Synthetic blends like polyester and nylon are often used for their durability and stretch.
- Fit: Long johns should fit snugly without being too tight or restrictive. Look for options with stretch or elastic waistbands for added comfort.
- Features: Consider the features that are important to you, such as moisture-wicking, odor-resistant, or thermal properties. Some long johns may also have additional features like reinforced knees or cuffs.
- Brand and Price: While brand and price are not the most important factors, they can still be considerations. Look for brands with a reputation for quality and durability, and compare prices to find the best value for your budget.
When shopping for long johns, keep in mind your personal preferences and the activities you’ll be using them for. With the right pair, you can stay warm and comfortable all winter long.
Types of Long Johns
There are several types of long johns available on the market, each designed with specific purposes in mind. Here are some of the most common types of long johns:
- Lightweight Long Johns: These long johns are made from lightweight materials like cotton or synthetic blends and are designed for mild to moderate cold weather. They are typically thinner and more breathable than other types of long johns, making them great for layering.
- Midweight Long Johns: Midweight long johns are made from thicker materials like wool or synthetic blends and are designed for colder weather. They offer more insulation than lightweight long johns and are ideal for outdoor activities like hiking or skiing.
- Heavyweight Long Johns: These long johns are made from the thickest and warmest materials like fleece or wool blends and are designed for extreme cold weather. They are ideal for activities like ice fishing or winter camping.
- Compression Long Johns: Compression long johns are designed to provide added support and improve circulation to the legs. They are made from stretchy materials like spandex or nylon and have a snug fit that conforms to the body.
- Thermal Long Johns: Thermal long johns are designed to trap heat and keep the body warm. They are typically made from materials like wool or synthetic blends and have added features like moisture-wicking and odor control.
- Base Layer Long Johns: Base layer long johns are designed to be worn under other layers of clothing, like a jacket or coat. They are typically made from lightweight or midweight materials and are designed to regulate body temperature and wick away moisture.
When choosing a type of long johns, consider the weather conditions and activities you’ll be participating in. A lightweight pair may be sufficient for everyday wear in mild temperatures, while a heavyweight pair may be necessary for extreme cold weather or outdoor activities. Compression or thermal long johns may be ideal for athletes or those with circulation issues, while base layer long johns are great for layering and regulating body temperature.
Top Picks for Best Long Johns
This men's long johns thermal underwear is designed to provide all-around warmth making them perfect even on the coldest winter days. A key feature of these long johns is their breathable, moisture-wicking fabric that provides a healthy feeling by keeping you dry and comfortable. The elastic waistband will help with the fit and comfort of your garment while also adding a silhouette contour for a sleek look under clothes. This fleece-lined long underwear is made from 92% Ultra Soft Polyester 8% Spandex which means it can stretch, glide smoothly against your skin, block out unwanted odors and stand up well against machine washes!
It's no secret that the best way to keep warm outdoors is with high-quality thermal underwear. This stylish long john fleece not only offers you warmth and comfort but also provides odor control and moisture-wicking features. With an elastic waistband design, stretchable fabric design, crew neck design, 4-way stretch for mobility, this thermal underwear is better than being snug as a bug in a rug when it comes to cold-weather comfort.
Now your kids can enjoy their active lifestyles even in the winter by staying warm in our long johns thermal underwear for boys. Available in a range of sizes, these stretchy fleece-lined boys' long johns have a double-base layer knit for added warmth and moisture-wicking to combat uncomfortable chills from wearing too many clothes when it's cold outside. They come with elastic cuffs along the wrists and waistband so they stay on not to mention shrinkage control keeps them at the right size throughout the seasons! Built from breathable polyester, these are perfect when your child wants to be active during cooler months. Paired with pair of socks and mittens, you'll see how content he stays during chilly days without breaking a sweat!
Fruit of the Loom
Fruit of the Loom is one of the most trusted brands in underwear. Their long johns are made from U.S.-sourced cotton and recycled polyester, which means they’re soft, comfortable, and durable enough to last all day. The waffle fabric with moisture-wicking technology offers superior warmth without sacrificing breathability or mobility so you can stay warm while staying active!
There are many brands that offer high-quality long johns on the market. Here are some of the top brands to consider:
- Smartwool: Smartwool is a well-known brand that specializes in outdoor clothing, including long johns. They offer a variety of materials, including merino wool and synthetic blends, and are known for their high quality and durability.
- Under Armour: Under Armour is a popular brand that offers long johns with their patented ColdGear technology, designed to keep you warm in cold weather. Their compression fit options are also great for athletes.
- Patagonia: Patagonia is a well-known outdoor brand that offers a variety of long johns, including midweight and heavyweight options. They use sustainable materials in their clothing and are known for their high-quality products.
- Columbia: Columbia offers a variety of long johns for both men and women, including thermal and heavyweight options. They are known for their affordable prices and high-quality products.
- Hanes: Hanes offers budget-friendly long johns that are made from comfortable materials like cotton and polyester. They are a great option for those looking for a basic, no-frills option.
- Carhartt: Carhartt offers heavy-duty long johns that are designed for outdoor work and cold weather. They are made from durable materials and offer added features like reinforced knees.
When choosing a brand, consider your budget, the type of long johns you need, and the level of quality you’re looking for. Each brand has its own unique strengths and offerings, so do your research to find the best fit for your needs.
Materials Used in Long Johns
Long johns are typically made from a variety of materials that offer warmth, comfort, and durability. Here are some of the most common materials used in long johns:
- Wool: Wool is a popular material for long johns as it is warm, naturally moisture-wicking, and odor-resistant. Merino wool is a common choice as it is soft, lightweight, and itch-free.
- Synthetic Fabrics: Synthetic fabrics like polyester and nylon are often used in long johns as they are durable, moisture-wicking, and quick-drying. They are also often blended with other materials like wool or cotton to enhance their performance.
- Cotton: Cotton is a breathable, comfortable, and affordable option for long johns. It is not as warm as other materials, but it is a good choice for mild to moderate cold weather.
- Silk: Silk is a lightweight, luxurious option for long johns that provides warmth without bulk. It is often used in lightweight or midweight long johns for mild to moderate cold weather.
- Bamboo: Bamboo is a sustainable and eco-friendly material that is often used in long johns. It is soft, breathable, and moisture-wicking, making it a comfortable option for everyday wear.
When choosing a material, consider the weather conditions you will be facing, as well as your personal preferences for comfort and performance. Each material has its own unique properties, so do your research to find the best fit for your needs.
Cheap vs Expensive
When it comes to long johns, there are both cheap and expensive options available on the market. Here are some factors to consider when deciding whether to go for a cheap or expensive option:
- Material: The quality of the material used in the long johns can greatly affect their performance and durability. Cheaper options may use lower-quality materials that may not be as warm, breathable, or durable as more expensive options. Higher-end options often use premium materials that are designed to last.
- Fit: The fit of the long johns is important for both comfort and performance. Cheaper options may have a less precise fit or be less adjustable than more expensive options, which can result in discomfort or reduced effectiveness. Higher-end options often have more advanced fit features and customization options.
- Features: Long johns may come with added features like moisture-wicking, odor control, or thermal insulation. Cheaper options may have fewer or less advanced features, while more expensive options may have advanced features that enhance their performance and comfort.
- Brand: The brand of the long johns can also affect their price. Higher-end brands may offer more advanced materials, features, and customization options, while budget-friendly brands may offer more basic options.
Ultimately, whether to go for a cheap or expensive option depends on your budget and the level of quality and performance you’re looking for. Cheaper options can be a good choice for mild weather or occasional use, while more expensive options may be worth the investment for those facing extreme cold or requiring advanced features for outdoor activities or sports.
Care and Maintenance
Proper care and maintenance of your long johns can help to prolong their lifespan and ensure that they continue to perform well. Here are some tips for caring for your long johns:
- Follow the care instructions: Each pair of long johns may have specific care instructions, so be sure to follow them carefully. This may include washing in cold water, avoiding bleach or fabric softeners, and air-drying.
- Wash after each use: Long johns can become sweaty and smelly after use, so it’s important to wash them after each use. This will help to remove bacteria and prevent odors from building up.
- Use a gentle detergent: Harsh detergents can damage the fibers of your long johns, so it’s best to use a gentle detergent that is formulated for cold-weather gear.
- Avoid high heat: High heat can damage the fibers of your long johns, so it’s best to avoid using high-heat settings on your dryer. Instead, air-dry your long johns or use a low-heat setting.
- Store properly: When not in use, store your long johns in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing them in direct sunlight or damp areas, as this can cause mildew or damage to the fibers.
- Repair as needed: If you notice any holes, tears, or other damage to your long johns, repair them as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
By following these care and maintenance tips, you can help to keep your long johns in good condition and ensure that they continue to perform well.
Alternatives to Long Johns
If you’re looking for alternatives to long johns, there are several options that can provide warmth and comfort in cold weather. Here are some alternatives to consider:
- Fleece-lined leggings or tights: Fleece-lined leggings or tights are a popular alternative to long johns. They are soft, warm, and comfortable, and can be worn under pants, dresses, or skirts.
- Thermal underwear: Thermal underwear is designed to provide warmth and insulation in cold weather. They are typically made from a blend of synthetic or natural fibers and are available in a range of styles, including tops and bottoms.
- Sweatpants or joggers: Sweatpants or joggers can be a comfortable and casual alternative to long johns. They are often made from soft, warm materials and can be worn indoors or outdoors.
- Wool or cashmere pants: Wool or cashmere pants are a luxurious and warm alternative to long johns. They are typically more expensive than other options, but are soft, comfortable, and provide excellent insulation.
- Layering: Layering is a popular technique for staying warm in cold weather. By layering several lightweight, breathable layers, you can create insulation and trap warm air close to your body. This can include a base layer, mid-layer, and outer layer, depending on the temperature and activity level.
Ultimately, the best alternative to long johns will depend on your personal preferences, the weather conditions, and the activities you’ll be doing. Consider your needs and try a few different options to find the right fit for you.
Benefits of Long Johns
Long johns, also known as thermal underwear or long underwear, provide several benefits in cold weather. Here are some of the key benefits of wearing long johns:
- Warmth: Long johns are designed to provide an extra layer of insulation to help keep you warm in cold weather. They are typically made from materials like wool, synthetic fibers, or a blend of materials that trap warm air close to the skin.
- Moisture-wicking: Many long johns are designed to wick moisture away from the skin, which can help to keep you dry and prevent chills.
- Comfort: Long johns are typically made from soft, stretchy materials that move with your body and provide a comfortable fit. They can help to prevent chafing and rubbing that can be caused by wearing multiple layers.
- Breathability: Some long johns are made with breathable materials that allow air to circulate, which can prevent overheating and keep you comfortable.
- Versatility: Long johns can be worn under a variety of clothing, from jeans to snow pants to ski suits. They are a versatile layering option that can be used in many different cold weather activities.
- Health benefits: In addition to providing warmth and comfort, long johns can also have health benefits. They can help to improve circulation and prevent muscle strains and cramps, particularly for people who work or exercise outdoors in cold weather.
Overall, long johns are a useful and practical addition to any cold weather wardrobe. Whether you’re heading out for a winter hike or simply running errands on a chilly day, long johns can help to keep you warm, comfortable, and protected from the elements.
Meet Eric McGough, a seasoned adventurer and military veteran who traded his tech career for a life of outdoor exploration and freedom. He plans to travel the world, discover new adventures, and share information about great destinations, gear, and more on the Shaman Mountain Sports and Outdoors Blog.