If you’re planning a family camping trip, finding the best kids sleeping bags for your children is essential for a successful and comfortable experience. But with so many options available, how do you choose the right one? In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know to make an informed decision, including the types of kids sleeping bags, care and maintenance tips, and the pros and cons of different options. By the end, you’ll have all the information you need to find the perfect sleeping bag for your child’s next adventure in the great outdoors.
When shopping for a kids’ sleeping bag, it’s essential to consider a number of factors to ensure that you select the best one for your child. Here are some key considerations to keep in mind:
- Size and Fit: One of the most important things to consider when choosing a kids’ sleeping bag is the size and fit. Make sure to measure your child’s height and shoulder width to find a sleeping bag that fits them comfortably. It’s also a good idea to look for bags with adjustable hoods and foot boxes to accommodate different body sizes and shapes.
- Temperature Rating: Another important factor to consider is the temperature rating of the sleeping bag. Look for bags with temperature ratings appropriate for the conditions you expect to encounter on your camping trips. Keep in mind that children often sleep colder than adults, so you may need a sleeping bag rated for lower temperatures than what you would use for yourself.
- Material and Insulation: The material and insulation of the sleeping bag will also play a big role in how warm and comfortable it is. Down insulation is typically the warmest and most compressible, but it can be more expensive and difficult to care for. Synthetic insulation is more affordable and easier to care for, but it may not be as warm or compressible.
- Weight and Packability: If you plan to take your child’s sleeping bag on backpacking trips or other adventures where weight and packability are important, make sure to consider these factors when making your selection. Look for bags that are lightweight and can be compressed down to a small size for easy transport.
- Durability and Quality: Finally, make sure to choose a kids’ sleeping bag that is made from high-quality materials and is built to last. Look for bags with durable zippers and reinforced stitching to ensure that they can withstand regular use and abuse.
By keeping these factors in mind, you can find the best kids’ sleeping bags for your child’s needs and ensure that they stay warm and comfortable on all of your camping adventures.
Types of Kids Sleeping Bags
When shopping for a kids’ sleeping bag, you’ll find that there are several different types to choose from. Here are the most common types of kids’ sleeping bags:
- Mummy Sleeping Bags: Mummy sleeping bags are designed to fit snugly around the body, providing maximum warmth and insulation. They typically have a tapered shape that is wider at the shoulders and narrower at the feet and may have a hood to keep the head warm. Mummy sleeping bags are ideal for colder-weather camping trips, as they offer excellent insulation and can help keep your child warm and cozy throughout the night.
- Rectangular Sleeping Bags: Rectangular sleeping bags are roomier than mummy bags, offering more space to move around and stretch out. They are a great option for warmer-weather camping trips or for kids who like to move around in their sleep. Rectangular sleeping bags are also easier to pack and transport than mummy bags, as they can be rolled up into a more compact size.
- Semi-Rectangular Sleeping Bags: Semi-rectangular sleeping bags offer a compromise between the warmth and insulation of mummy bags and the roominess and comfort of rectangular bags. They typically have a slightly tapered shape that provides a good balance of warmth and comfort and is a good choice for kids who may be too restless to sleep comfortably in a mummy bag.
- Double Sleeping Bags: Double sleeping bags are designed to accommodate two people, making them a great option for family camping trips or for kids who like to snuggle up with a friend or sibling. They may be available in mummy, rectangular, or semi-rectangular shapes, and may be insulated with either down or synthetic insulation.
- Backpacking Sleeping Bags: Backpacking sleeping bags are designed to be lightweight and packable, making them a good choice for kids who will be carrying their own gear on backpacking trips. They are typically insulated with either down or synthetic insulation and may be available in mummy or semi-rectangular shapes.
By understanding the different types of kids’ sleeping bags available, you can choose the one that best fits your child’s needs and preferences. Consider the temperature rating, size and fit, and intended use of the sleeping bag when making your selection.
Top Picks for Best Kids Sleeping Bags
Bixbee Kids Sleeping Bag is the perfect solution to keep your kids warm and cozy while camping or napping. It’s made from high-quality materials that are durable enough to last through many washes. The zipper is also very strong and easy to use for a kid. You can even machine wash this product without worrying about damage! With its carrying handle, it makes traveling with your child easy as well. This will be a great addition to any household to help get the kids into nature.
- Easy to use zippers
- Machine washable
- Quality construction
- Thick insulation
- 60"L x 22"W
- Machine washable
- Carry handle
Do your little one love to snuggle up with a pillow and blanket every night? Happy Nappers are the perfect combination of a cozy pillow and a comfy sleep sack. It’s like having two favorite things rolled into one! Plus, they come in all kinds of cute characters that kids will adore. You can even put it on backward for extra warmth or wear it as a cape when playing dress-up! Regarding comfort, there are no rules – have fun! And because they’re machine washable, you don't have to worry about spills or accidents getting them dirty either. With Happy Nappers, your little ones will always be happy napping wherever they go!
- Medium and large size available
- Unique designs
- Snap buttons can pop open
- 54"L x 20"W
- Pillow and sleep sack combo
- Machine washable
If you have a kid that loves dinos, this is the perfect gift for them! They will love crawling into their very own sleeping bag and staying warm all night long in this sleeping bag. It’s made with high-quality materials and it’s built to last. Furthermore, this dino sleeping bag is suitable for kids ages 3 years old and up. The design of the sleeping bag features different dinosaurs that glow in the dark! Your child will never want to go back to using a regular sleeping bag again after they try out this bag! You won’t find another product quite like this one anywhere else online or offline!
- Machine washable
- Cozy and soft
- Velcro closure
- Could feature a better zipper
- Ages 3 and up
- 66"L x 30"W
- Glow in the dark
ANJ Outdoors lightweight sleeping bags are perfect for all seasons, so no matter what season it is, they have got you covered! You can choose between two sizes depending on how tall or short your children are. The kid's size fits those up to 4 feet 5 inches tall, while the youth fits people up to 5 feet 7 inches tall! With their unique zipper design, that allows you to zip from both sides into one larger bag! And when it comes time to pack up in the morning, the compression straps allow you to easily fold down into a compact size so they fit perfectly in your children's backpack without taking up too much space.
- Ultra light
- 3 year warranty
- 4 seasons
- Velcro strap near the neck
- Kids size is 61” (L) x 23.6”
- Youth size is 73” (L) x 27.6”
- 2 LBS
Tuphen's child sleeping bags are made of waterproof and breathable fabric, so they can be used in all seasons. Furthermore, they fit an average size adult and have tons of space for a single kid. The two-way zipper with “zipper guard” prevents stuck zippers from happening again! With this product, you won't have to worry about getting caught in the rain or cold weather anymore! Lastly, the child can grow into this sleeping bag, getting more use out of it.
- Water resistant
- Easy to clean
- Not much insulation near toe area
- 86.6"L x 29.5"W
- Ultra light weight
- Travel bag
This lightweight sleeping bag is designed to keep kids comfortable in temperatures at 50°F. Pacific Pass's skin-friendly and cute pattern lining will make them want to use it every night! It’s also ultra-lightweight, so they can easily carry it around. This sleeping bag will be your child's favorite thing to take along anywhere they go! They'll love using their imagination while playing outdoors all day long before snuggling up inside this cozy sleeping bag at night. Your little one will never want to leave home without their polyester sleeping bag again!
- Super light
- Temperatures to 50 degrees
- Easy to carry
- Hard to take out of bag
- 60"x26" Inch
- Temperatures to 50 degrees
- Multi use
Ecoopros kid's sleeping bags are perfect for camping, sleepovers, and more. They’re made with white duck down (650g) which is the best insulation on the market today. The diamond shape helps insulate your body so you stay warm all night long! It also has a zipper that can be opened from both sides of the bag to make it easy to get in and out of bed a breeze. Plus, these kids’ sleeping bags come in bright colors that will keep them excited about going on a trip!
- Warm and toasty
- Heavily insulated
- Reinforced stitching
- Can be too hot for summer camping
- 86"L x 30"W
- 32 degree rated
This sleeping bag is the perfect choice for parents looking to keep their kids warm and comfortable in colder temperatures. It's tailor-made for children up to 5 feet 5 inches tall, providing them with plenty of room to move around inside the bag. What's more, it boasts thick Thermotech insulation and ComfortCuff technology to avoid cold drafts that will keep your child warm during the coldest nights. Additionally, an interior pocket makes storing small items like a flashlight or personal belongings easier. At such a low price point, this youth sleeping bag truly provides unbeatable value for money.
- No snag zipper
- Great multi use summer bag
- Stuff sack is small
- 5 feet 5 inches tall
- Interior pocket
- Durable zippers
Coleman is an American brand that has been around since 1900. They're known for their high-quality products and they want to help your kids sleep comfortably in any temperature with the Coleman Kids Sleeping Bag! It can keep them warm down to 50°F, which means they can camp or have a sleepover without getting cold. Plus it’s got a stylish design so they will love it too! The zipper on this sleeping bag won't snag, so you don't have to worry about waking up in the middle of the night trying to fix it or having your kid wake up because their zipper is stuck. Furthermore, this sleeping bag also comes with a stuff sack so you can easily pack it away when not in use.
- Machine washable
- 1 Year warranty
- Can zip two together
- No band to hold bag closed
- 60 x 26 In.
- Glow in dark
- No snag zipper
Care and Maintenance
Proper care and maintenance are important for ensuring that your child’s sleeping bag stays clean, warm, and comfortable for years to come. Here are some tips for taking care of your kids’ sleeping bags:
- Follow the manufacturer’s care instructions: Before using your child’s sleeping bag for the first time, make sure to read and follow the manufacturer’s care instructions. These instructions will provide specific guidance on how to wash, dry, and store the sleeping bag.
- Spot clean as needed: If your child’s sleeping bag gets dirty, spot-clean it with a damp cloth and mild soap. Avoid using harsh detergents or bleach, as these can damage the insulation and fabric of the sleeping bag.
- Wash the sleeping bag when necessary: Over time, your child’s sleeping bag will need to be washed to remove dirt, sweat, and body oils. Follow the manufacturer’s care instructions for washing the sleeping bag, which may involve using a front-loading washing machine and mild detergent. Do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets, as these can damage the insulation of the sleeping bag.
- Dry the sleeping bag properly: After washing the sleeping bag, hang it up or lay it flat to dry in a well-ventilated area. Do not put the sleeping bag in a dryer, as high heat can damage the insulation and fabric. Make sure the sleeping bag is completely dry before storing it.
- Store the sleeping bag properly: When not in use, store your child’s sleeping bag in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing the sleeping bag in a compressed or tight space, as this can damage the insulation. Instead, hang the sleeping bag or store it loosely in a breathable storage bag.
By following these care and maintenance tips, you can help ensure that your child’s sleeping bag stays clean, warm, and comfortable for many camping trips to come.
Pros and Cons of Kids Sleeping Bags
Like any product, kids sleeping bags have their advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of the pros and cons to consider when choosing a sleeping bag for your child:
- Size: Kids sleeping bags are designed to fit children, which means they are typically smaller and lighter than adult sleeping bags, making them easier for kids to carry and pack.
- Insulation: Kids sleeping bags often come with a higher warmth-to-weight ratio than adult sleeping bags, meaning they are warmer for their size and weight.
- Fun Designs: Kids sleeping bags often come in fun designs and colors that can make camping more exciting and enjoyable for children.
- Price: Kids sleeping bags tend to be less expensive than adult sleeping bags, making them a great option for families on a budget.
- Outgrown quickly: Kids sleeping bags may not last as long as adult sleeping bags since children grow quickly and may outgrow them in a few seasons.
- Limited use: Kids sleeping bags are typically designed for warmer temperatures and may not be suitable for colder weather, which limits their use.
- Durability: Kids sleeping bags may not be as durable as adult sleeping bags since they are often made with lighter materials to keep them lightweight and easier to carry.
- Restricted use: Kids sleeping bags are designed for children and may not be suitable for adults, which means they may have limited use for the family in the long term.
By considering these pros and cons, you can make an informed decision about whether a kids sleeping bag is the right choice for your child and family’s camping needs.
Meet Nic Armitage, a devoted outdoors enthusiast with an insatiable love for fishing, boating, and a wide range of adventurous activities. His passion for the great outdoors knows no bounds. Nic is your trusted guide into the world of nature, sharing his experiences and expertise on the Shaman Mountain Sports and Outdoors Blog.