Boat trailer lights are a crucial safety feature for any boater. Not only do they help you navigate the road, but they also ensure that other drivers can see you on the road. With so many options available, it can be challenging to determine the best boat trailer lights for your needs. In this blog, we’ll explore the types of boat trailer lights, legal requirements, installation and maintenance tips, safety considerations, and more to help you choose the best boat trailer lights for your next boating adventure.
When it comes to buying the best boat trailer lights, there are several factors to consider. Here are some key points to keep in mind:
- Brightness: The brightness of boat trailer lights is measured in lumens. It’s important to choose lights that are bright enough to ensure maximum visibility and safety on the road.
- Durability: Boat trailer lights are exposed to harsh weather conditions and need to be durable enough to withstand the elements. Look for lights that are made of high-quality materials such as aluminum or stainless steel and have a waterproof rating.
- Price: The price of boat trailer lights can vary widely depending on the type and quality of the lights. Consider your budget and choose lights that offer the best value for money.
- Compatibility: It’s important to choose boat trailer lights that are compatible with your trailer’s wiring system. Make sure to check the specifications of the lights and ensure that they are a suitable fit for your trailer.
- Brand: Look for reputable brands that have a good track record of producing high-quality boat trailer lights. Some popular brands include Peterson, Optronics, and Wesbar.
- Customer reviews: Read customer reviews and ratings to get an idea of the performance and reliability of the boat trailer lights. Look for lights that have positive reviews and high ratings.
By considering these factors, you can choose the best boat trailer lights that meet your needs and provide optimal visibility and safety on the road.
Types of Boat Trailer Lights
There are different types of boat trailer lights available in the market. Here are the three most common types of boat trailer lights:
- LED Boat Trailer Lights: LED boat trailer lights are energy-efficient, durable, and long-lasting. They provide bright illumination and consume less power than traditional incandescent lights. LED lights are available in various colors, including red, green, and amber, and can be used for tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals. They are also ideal for submersible trailers as they are waterproof and can withstand harsh weather conditions.
- Incandescent Boat Trailer Lights: Incandescent boat trailer lights are the most traditional type of boat trailer lights. They are affordable, but they have a shorter lifespan than LED lights and consume more power. Incandescent lights are available in red, green, and amber colors and can be used for tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals.
- Submersible Boat Trailer Lights: Submersible boat trailer lights are designed to be waterproof and can be used for trailers that are submerged in water. They are available in LED and incandescent types and are ideal for boat trailers, jet ski trailers, and other watercraft trailers. Submersible lights are durable and can withstand harsh marine environments.
When choosing the best boat trailer lights, it’s important to consider the type of lights that will work best for your trailer and meet your specific needs. Factors to consider include brightness, durability, compatibility, and price.
Top Picks for Best Boat Trailer Lights
Looking for a new boat trailer light?CZC Auto is the best multifunctional rectangular trailer tail light on the market. It combines stop, running, turn signal indicator lighting, and license plate illumination into one convenient product. The lights are excellent waterproof/submersible lights for trailers that will never let you down! There's even a 30-day money-back guarantee if you aren’t satisfied with your purchase. In addition, these lights are easy to install and use. This trailer light kit comes with everything you need to mount your new waterproof boat trailer lights.
Maxxhaul is one of the best boat trailer lights on the market. It’s packed with features that make trailering easier. It’s the perfect product for anyone who wants to do more with their boat trailer. It includes high visibility LED taillights that are DOT compliant and easy to install. Plus, it comes with a 23 and 4-foot 4-pole color-coded wiring harness so you can hook up the lights in no time at all. This is an all-in-one kit that will get you up and running fast. Ensure safety on the road, and upgrade today.
You’ll be able to tow your boat safely and securely with this trailer light kit by WoneNice! Their kit includes 2 combination tail and turn signal lights, 2 ambers LED clearance marker lights,25-ft wiring harness,license plate bracket as well as all necessary hardware. All of their products are made with high-quality materials to ensure long-lasting use. This kit comes in at a great price point as well, which really makes this combo that much sweeter.
These LED Trailer Lights are DOT-certified and IP67 submersible rated. They have a reflective lens that is 80" or wider, making them perfect for any large trailer. These lights will make sure you’re seen on the road at night with their bright light output of up to 3250 lumens per side! ou can feel confident knowing this light meets all industry standards. You won’t find another company with such high-quality LED trailer lighting at such an affordable price.
We know that finding the right trailer light is important. They’re made with high-quality materials and have 10 diodes, which means they’ll last longer than other brands. Plus, they’re waterproof and sealed so you don't need to worry about them getting wet or corroding over time. You can even use them in all weather conditions because of their durable construction! They will last longer than your average light bulb and provide better visibility for other drivers. You won’t have to worry about replacing them anytime soon!
Boat trailer lights are subject to legal requirements in most jurisdictions, and it’s important to comply with these regulations to ensure your safety on the road. Here are some common legal requirements for boat trailer lights:
- Color: Boat trailer lights must be either red, green, or amber, depending on their function. Red lights are used for tail lights and brake lights, while green lights are used for the starboard side (right side) of the trailer and amber lights are used for the turn signals and hazard lights.
- Placement: Boat trailer lights must be placed in specific locations on the trailer. Tail lights must be mounted on the rear of the trailer, at a height of no less than 15 inches and no more than 72 inches from the ground. Brake lights must be located higher than the tail lights, and turn signals must be mounted on the side of the trailer.
- Visibility: Boat trailer lights must be visible from a certain distance. In most jurisdictions, tail lights must be visible from a distance of at least 500 feet, while brake lights and turn signals must be visible from at least 300 feet.
- Functionality: Boat trailer lights must be in proper working order and must be bright enough to be seen clearly on the road.
- Reflectors: Boat trailers are also required to have reflectors, which are typically placed on the sides and rear of the trailer to increase visibility. Reflectors are often required to be red or amber in color and must be visible from a certain distance.
It’s important to check the specific legal requirements for boat trailer lights in your jurisdiction to ensure that your trailer is in compliance with the law. Non-compliance can result in fines and other penalties, as well as a risk to your safety on the road.
Installation and Maintenance
Proper installation and maintenance of boat trailer lights are crucial for ensuring their functionality and longevity. Here are some tips for installing and maintaining boat trailer lights:
- Read the instructions: Before installing your boat trailer lights, read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. This will ensure that you understand the installation process and that you have all the necessary tools and materials.
- Proper wiring: Ensure that the wiring is properly connected and protected. Use wiring connectors to secure the wiring and protect it from the elements.
- Mounting: Mount the lights securely to the trailer using bolts or screws. Make sure that the lights are level and angled correctly for maximum visibility.
- Test the lights: Once you have installed the lights, test them to ensure that they are working correctly. This will include checking that the brake lights, turn signals, and tail lights are all functioning as they should.
- Regular cleaning: Clean your boat trailer lights regularly to remove dirt and grime that can reduce their brightness. Use a soft cloth or sponge and mild soap and water to clean the lights.
- Check the wiring: Regularly check the wiring and connections to ensure that they are secure and protected. Replace any damaged wiring or connectors.
- Replace damaged lights: If any of your boat trailer lights are damaged or not functioning correctly, replace them immediately. This will ensure that you remain in compliance with legal requirements and that your trailer is visible and safe on the road.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your boat trailer lights are properly installed and maintained, providing maximum visibility and safety on the road.
Boat trailer lights are an essential component of safe towing. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind when using boat trailer lights:
- Ensure that all lights are working: Before setting off on a trip, check that all the boat trailer lights are working correctly. This includes the tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, and reflectors.
- Check the wiring: Make sure that the wiring and connectors are properly connected and protected from the elements. Ensure that the wires are not frayed or damaged.
- Keep the lights clean: Dirt and grime can reduce the brightness of boat trailer lights, making them less visible on the road. Regularly clean the lights with a soft cloth or sponge and mild soap and water.
- Use reflective tape: In addition to boat trailer lights, consider using reflective tape on the trailer to increase visibility. Reflective tape can be applied to the sides and rear of the trailer.
- Be visible on the road: Make sure that your boat trailer is visible on the road by using proper lighting and reflectors. Avoid driving at night or in low light conditions if possible.
- Follow legal requirements: Ensure that your boat trailer lights comply with legal requirements in your jurisdiction. This includes the color and placement of lights, as well as their brightness and visibility.
- Properly secure the trailer: Ensure that the boat trailer is properly secured to the tow vehicle, and that the lights and wiring are not being strained or pulled.
By following these safety tips, you can ensure that your boat trailer lights are functioning correctly and that you remain visible and safe on the road while towing your boat.
Cheap vs Expensive
When it comes to boat trailer lights, there are both cheap and expensive options available. Here are some considerations when deciding whether to opt for cheaper or more expensive boat trailer lights:
Cheap boat trailer lights:
- Lower cost: Cheap boat trailer lights are often much less expensive than their more expensive counterparts.
- Easy to find: Cheap boat trailer lights are widely available in most stores that carry trailer accessories.
- Good for occasional use: If you only use your boat trailer occasionally, cheap lights may be sufficient for your needs.
- Poor quality: Cheap boat trailer lights are often made with lower-quality materials and may not be as durable or long-lasting as more expensive lights.
- May not meet legal requirements: Some cheaper boat trailer lights may not meet legal requirements for brightness and visibility, which could result in fines or other penalties.
- Limited features: Cheaper boat trailer lights may not have as many features as more expensive lights, such as waterproofing or shock resistance.
Expensive boat trailer lights:
- Higher quality: More expensive boat trailer lights are often made with higher-quality materials and are more durable and long-lasting.
- Better visibility: More expensive boat trailer lights are often brighter and more visible on the road, which can improve safety.
- More features: More expensive boat trailer lights may come with additional features, such as waterproofing, shock resistance, or wireless connectivity.
- Higher cost: More expensive boat trailer lights can be significantly more expensive than their cheaper counterparts.
- Harder to find: More expensive boat trailer lights may not be as widely available as cheaper lights, and may require more research to find.
- Overkill for occasional use: If you only use your boat trailer occasionally, more expensive lights may be unnecessary and not provide a good return on investment.
Ultimately, the choice between cheap and expensive boat trailer lights will depend on your specific needs and budget. If you use your boat trailer frequently or in challenging conditions, it may be worth investing in more expensive, higher-quality lights. However, if you only use your boat trailer occasionally or in relatively easy conditions, cheaper lights may be sufficient. Regardless of your choice, it’s important to ensure that your boat trailer lights meet legal requirements for safety and visibility on the road.
There are several top brands that offer high-quality boat trailer lights. Here are some of the most popular brands:
- Optronics: Optronics is a leading manufacturer of boat trailer lights and offers a wide range of products, including LED lights, reflectors, and wiring harnesses.
- Wesbar: Wesbar is a well-known brand that offers boat trailer lights, wiring harnesses, and other trailer accessories. Their products are known for their durability and high-quality construction.
- Peterson Manufacturing: Peterson Manufacturing is another popular brand that specializes in boat trailer lights and offers a wide range of products, including LED lights, reflectors, and wiring harnesses.
- Seachoice: Seachoice is a popular brand that offers a wide range of boat trailer lights and other marine products, including LED lights, reflectors, and wiring harnesses.
- Bargman: Bargman is a well-known brand that offers boat trailer lights, wiring harnesses, and other trailer accessories. Their products are known for their durability and high-quality construction.
- Grote Industries: Grote Industries is a leading manufacturer of boat trailer lights and offers a wide range of products, including LED lights, reflectors, and wiring harnesses.
When choosing a brand of boat trailer lights, it’s important to consider factors such as the quality of the product, the range of products available, and the company’s reputation for customer service and support. Additionally, it’s important to ensure that the lights you choose meet legal requirements for safety and visibility on the road.
Benefits of Boat Trailer Lights
Boat trailer lights provide several important benefits for boat owners. Here are some of the key benefits of using boat trailer lights:
- Improved safety: Boat trailer lights improve safety by making it easier for other drivers to see your boat trailer on the road. This is especially important when driving at night or in low-light conditions.
- Legal compliance: Most states require that boats and boat trailers be equipped with lights when being transported on public roads. Boat trailer lights can help ensure that you are in compliance with these laws and regulations.
- Better visibility: Boat trailer lights make it easier for you to see your trailer when backing up, loading and unloading your boat, or maneuvering in tight spaces.
- Durability: Many boat trailer lights are designed to be durable and withstand harsh weather conditions, including rain, snow, and saltwater. This can help extend the life of your trailer lights and reduce the need for frequent replacements.
- Convenience: Boat trailer lights make it easier to transport your boat between waterways, as they allow you to do so safely and legally.
- Enhanced aesthetics: Many boat trailer lights are designed to be aesthetically pleasing, and can enhance the overall appearance of your boat and trailer.
Overall, boat trailer lights provide important safety and legal compliance benefits for boat owners, while also enhancing convenience and aesthetics. If you own a boat and transport it on a trailer, it’s important to ensure that your trailer lights are in good working order and meet legal requirements for safety and visibility on the road.
Meet Nic Armitage, a devoted outdoors enthusiast with an insatiable love for fishing, boating, and a wide range of adventurous activities. His passion for the great outdoors knows no bounds. Nic is your trusted guide into the world of nature, sharing his experiences and expertise on the Shaman Mountain Sports and Outdoors Blog.