Are you tired of constantly having to clean your pool and pay high energy bills to keep it heated? A pool solar cover may be the solution you’re looking for. Not only do they keep your pool clean, but they can also help conserve energy and save you money in the long run. In this article, we’ll be discussing the best pool solar covers on the market, the benefits of using one, and tips for maintenance and care. Whether you’re a new pool owner or a seasoned veteran, you won’t want to miss out on our comprehensive guide to the best pool solar covers.
If you’re looking to buy a pool solar cover, there are several factors you should consider before making your purchase. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Size and Shape: Measure your pool accurately before purchasing a solar cover to ensure a good fit. Most solar covers come in rectangular or oval shapes, but some brands offer custom sizes and shapes.
- Material: Pool solar covers are typically made from vinyl or polyethylene materials. Look for a high-quality material that is durable and can withstand exposure to sunlight, pool chemicals, and weather conditions.
- Bubble Size: The size of the bubbles on a solar cover affects its insulation capabilities. Smaller bubbles provide better insulation, while larger bubbles offer less insulation but tend to be more durable.
- Thickness: The thickness of a solar cover also affects its insulation properties. Thicker covers provide better insulation but may be more difficult to handle and store.
- UV Protection: Look for a solar cover that offers UV protection to prevent fading and deterioration caused by exposure to sunlight.
- Color: Solar covers come in different colors, with blue being the most common. Some brands offer different colors that may absorb more heat or provide better insulation.
- Warranty: Check the warranty offered by the manufacturer before making your purchase. A good warranty can provide you with peace of mind and protect your investment.
- Price: Solar covers come in different price ranges, with higher-end models offering better insulation and durability. Determine your budget and look for a solar cover that offers the features you need at a price you can afford.
By keeping these factors in mind, you can make an informed decision and choose the best pool solar cover for your needs. Remember to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation and maintenance to ensure your solar cover lasts for years to come.
Types of Pool Solar Covers
When it comes to pool solar covers, there are several types to choose from. Here are the most common types of pool solar covers:
- Bubble Covers: Also known as solar blankets, bubble covers are the most common type of pool solar cover. They are made of two layers of material with air bubbles in between. Bubble covers come in different thicknesses, with thicker covers providing better insulation. They are lightweight, easy to handle, and relatively affordable.
- Liquid Solar Covers: Liquid solar covers are a chemical solution that you pour into your pool. The solution forms a thin layer on the surface of the water, which helps to reduce heat loss through evaporation. Liquid solar covers are easy to use and can be effective, but they need to be reapplied regularly.
- Solar Rings: Solar rings are small, inflatable rings that float on the surface of your pool. They are designed to absorb sunlight and transfer heat to the water. Solar rings are easy to use and affordable, but they may not be as effective as other types of solar covers.
- Solar Panels: Solar panels are a more expensive option, but they offer the highest level of energy efficiency. Solar panels are installed on the roof of your house or a nearby structure, and they use solar energy to heat your pool. They are more effective in areas with lots of sunlight and can be a good long-term investment for pool owners.
When choosing a pool solar cover, consider the type that is best suited to your needs and budget. Bubble covers are the most common and affordable option, while liquid solar covers and solar rings may be a good choice for smaller pools or those on a tight budget. Solar panels are a more expensive option but can provide the highest level of energy efficiency for pool heating. Consider your needs and the size of your pool when making your decision.
Top Picks for Best Pool Solar Covers
Keep your swimming pool clean and warm all season long with Sun2Solar's pool cover for in-ground as well as above-ground pools. This easy-to-use cover is made from durable resin material and features thousands of tiny bubbles that work together to collect and retain heat. Place the bubble-side of the blanket facing downwards towards your water - this takes advantage of the free heat produced by the sun while more optimally retaining heat within your swimming pool. Plus, this solar cover is made from durable resin material, so it can take quite a bit of abuse from the sun.
- Help minimize water evaporation
- Keep your pool warm and comfortable
- Easy to trim to size with scissors
- Wont warm the water much past 60 degrees
- For In ground and above ground pools
- Made from resin
- 16' x 32' Rectangle
Want to keep your above-ground pool running smoothly and looking great all season long? Check out this Intex pool solar cover. With features that help it to reduce evaporation by 95 percent, keeping your pool at the perfect temperature while also reducing the number of chemicals you need to use. Furthermore, it's straightforward to install - just fit it snugly inside the edge of your pool and let it float in place. When not in use, fold up the carry bag and store it away until next time. The Intex pool solar cover comes in two sizes for 9.5 ft or 15 ft round above-ground pools.
- Easy to put on and take off
- Keeps water adequately warm
- Helps keep debris out of pool as well
- Wish it was made with thicker material
- For 15' round pools
- Retain heat and avoid evaporation loss
- Fits inside pools edges
In The Swim
On the hunt for a way to heat up your swimming pool and save on cleaning time? Look no further than the In The Swim rectangle pool cover that will warm the water with solar! Featuring 8 Mils of solar material that is designed to heat your swimming pool water by up to 10 degrees, making swimming more enjoyable all season long. Lastly, In the swim's rectangle covers are easy to install – just cut them to the shape of your pool with scissors if it is irregularly shaped. Get yours today!
- Fits snug thanks to trim to fit design
- Warms the water quite well
- Reinforced seams make it stronger than other brands
- Edges tend to start fraying after 3 months, but customer service is quick to replace
- 8 Mil solar material
- Easy trim to fit design
- Warms water up to 10 degrees
Easily keep your pool looking great all season with the Intex solar cover for your pool! It's a great way to keep your pool water warm with little work. Furthermore, it also features drain holes to prevent water accumulation on top and comes with a reusable carry bag for easy storage when you're done. Keep your above-ground swimming pool clean and functioning all season long with the Intex solar cover.
- Allows water to drain to avoid water pooling
- Fairly easy to put on and take off
- If you live in places with a lot of sun, don't expect this one to last more than a few years
- 12' Above ground pools
- Drain holes
- Comes with carrying bag
If you're looking to keep your swimming pool at a comfortable temperature all year round, then you need a Blue Wave Clear 14-mil Pool Solar Cover! This cover is designed to trap heat from the sun and help increase the water temperature by up to 15 degrees Fahrenheit. What's more, it also prevents up to 95% of pool water and chemical evaporation, making it a great choice for those who want to save on energy costs.
- Warms water quicker and to higher temps than comparable brands
- Heavy duty design
- Easy to cut
- Looks a little like bubble wrap in the clear design
- Clear In ground cover
- 14 Mil
- 6 Year warranty
- Warm the water up to 15 degrees
- Various sizes
This 18' durable Intex solar cover is easy to use and store – simply attach it to the pool, let the water drain through the holes, then fold it up and put it in the included reusable carry bag at the end of the season when you're done. Plus, this cover helps keep debris out of your pool and reduces your chemical consumption overall, keeping things cheaper on your wallet.
- Lightweight design makes installing a breeze
- Fairly inexpensive
- This one doesn't hold up long term
- Blue vinyl
- Easy to put on
Intex's rectangular swimming pool solar cover is perfect for keeping your pool water warmer and extending your swimming season. Made from durable 160-micron material as well as coming with a carrying bag, makes this a great value for your pool. Start saving on water and chemical evaporation with this essential piece of swimming pool equipment!
- Easy to maneuver
- Once a small tear starts it will tear more easily
- Fits 17'8" x 8'4" foot rectangular pools
- 160 micron material
- Carry bag
Looking for a way to keep your swimming pool clean and warm? Look no further than the Sun2Solar Round Blue Pool Solar Cover! This cover is designed to fit in-ground and above-ground round pools, and the blue color provides an attractive look while also using the sun’s rays to help warm your pool. The material is made from durable resin, which helps stand up to the sun. Furthermore, this cover will prevent dirt and debris from entering your pool as well, saving you money on pool cleaners and saving you up to 95% of your pool water from evaporating. So why wait? Get yourself a cover and start heating and saving today!
- Nice clean blue design
- Heats pool adequately
- Fairly high quality cover for the price
- Spend the extra and get one that will last numerous seasons
- Round pools
- In ground and above ground
- Numerous sizes
- Easy to trim design without affecting manufacturers warranty
Check out Sun2Solar's 16 mils in-ground and above-ground Pool solar cover! This easy-to-install cover is made from a film of thousands of tiny bubbles, which work together to collect and retain heat in your pool at night and on those chilly days. And since the clear color allows the sun's UV rays to penetrate deeper into your swimming pool, you'll be able to swim for longer - and save on heating costs in the process!
- Fairly inexpensive
- Works fairly well
- Doesn't look as clean as blue covers
- 16 Mil thickness
- For above ground and in ground
- Easy to move
This 12 mil cover can increase the temperature of your pool by up to 15 degrees Fahrenheit, keeping it warm and toasty, as well as reducing chemical use. Moreover, you can save money in water costs due to solar covers natural evaporation water-saving tech.
- Thicker material
- Warms a little higher than most
- 5 year warranty has you covered if the sun should deteriorate it enough
- Takes more effort to trim this thicker material
- 12 Mil design
- In ground pools
- 5 year warranty
How do Solar Pool Covers Work?
Solar pool covers work by harnessing the power of the sun to warm your pool water and reduce energy costs. They are made of a special material that is designed to trap heat from the sun and transfer it to the water in your pool. Here’s how they work:
- Trapping Heat: Solar pool covers are made of a material that is designed to trap heat from the sun. This material is usually made of a plastic or vinyl layer with tiny air bubbles or a reflective surface that can absorb and trap sunlight.
- Reducing Heat Loss: When the sun shines on your pool, some of the heat is absorbed by the water, but some of it is lost through evaporation. Solar pool covers help to reduce this heat loss by creating a barrier between the water and the air. This barrier helps to keep the heat in the water, reducing the amount of energy needed to keep your pool warm.
- Increasing Water Temperature: Solar pool covers can also help to increase the temperature of your pool water. When the sun’s rays pass through the cover and hit the water, they transfer heat to the water, raising the temperature. The longer your pool is covered, the warmer the water will get.
- Saving Energy: By reducing heat loss and increasing water temperature, solar pool covers can save energy and reduce heating costs. They can also help to reduce the need for chemicals and cleaning, as they can help to keep debris and dirt out of the pool.
In summary, solar pool covers work by trapping heat from the sun, reducing heat loss, increasing water temperature, and saving energy. They are an effective and affordable way to keep your pool warm and clean while reducing your energy costs.
Care and Maintenance
Proper care and maintenance of your pool solar cover can help extend its lifespan and ensure that it continues to work effectively. Here are some tips for caring for and maintaining your pool solar cover:
- Clean Regularly: It’s important to keep your solar cover clean to prevent algae growth and to ensure that it can trap heat effectively. Use a soft brush or sponge to clean the cover and rinse it with a hose. You can also use a mild detergent or pool cover cleaner for a deeper clean.
- Store Properly: When not in use, store your solar cover in a cool, dry place away from sunlight. Avoid folding or creasing the cover, as this can cause damage to the material. Instead, roll the cover up and store it in a protective cover bag.
- Protect from Sharp Objects: Solar covers can be easily damaged by sharp objects such as tree branches or toys. To prevent damage, remove any sharp objects from the pool area before covering the pool. If you notice any tears or holes in the cover, repair them immediately to prevent further damage.
- Remove Debris: Use a pool net or skimmer to remove any debris that has accumulated on the solar cover. This will prevent the cover from becoming too heavy and sagging into the pool.
- Use a Cover Reel: Using a cover reel can make it easier to remove and store your solar cover. It also helps to prevent damage to the cover by avoiding unnecessary dragging and pulling.
- Replace When Necessary: Over time, solar covers can become brittle and less effective at trapping heat. If you notice that your cover is starting to deteriorate, it may be time to replace it.
By following these care and maintenance tips, you can help ensure that your pool solar cover stays in good condition and continues to provide you with the benefits of reduced energy costs and warmer pool water.
Tips and Tricks
If you’re considering purchasing a pool solar cover, here are some tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your investment:
- Size Matters: Make sure to purchase a solar cover that is the correct size for your pool. If the cover is too small, it won’t be able to effectively trap heat, and if it’s too large, it will be difficult to handle and may be prone to damage.
- Use a Solar Cover Reel: A solar cover reel makes it easier to handle and store your solar cover. It also helps to protect the cover from damage by avoiding unnecessary dragging and pulling.
- Cover Your Pool at Night: Covering your pool at night can help to prevent heat loss and keep your pool warmer for longer. This is especially important during colder months or in areas with cooler temperatures.
- Use a Solar Cover in Conjunction with a Pool Heater: Using a solar cover in conjunction with a pool heater can help to reduce energy costs even further. The solar cover can help to trap heat during the day, reducing the workload of the pool heater and allowing it to run less often.
- Don’t Forget to Remove the Cover: It’s important to remove the solar cover before using your pool. Leaving the cover on while swimming can be dangerous and can also cause damage to the cover.
- Keep the Cover Clean: Regularly cleaning your solar cover can help to prevent algae growth and ensure that it continues to trap heat effectively. Use a soft brush or sponge to clean the cover and rinse it with a hose. You can also use a mild detergent or pool cover cleaner for a deeper clean.
By following these tips and tricks, you can maximize the benefits of your pool solar cover and ensure that it lasts for many seasons to come.
Cheap vs Expensive
When shopping for a pool solar cover, you may be wondering whether it’s worth spending extra money on a higher-end option or if a cheaper option will suffice. Here are some factors to consider when weighing the pros and cons of cheap vs expensive pool solar covers:
- Material: The material used in the construction of a pool solar cover can greatly affect its performance and durability. Cheaper covers are often made with thinner and less durable materials, while more expensive options tend to use higher-quality materials that are more resistant to damage.
- Size: As with most products, the larger the size, the more expensive the pool solar cover will be. If you have a larger pool, you may need to spend more money to purchase a cover that will fit properly.
- Thickness: The thickness of the pool solar cover can also affect its price. Thicker covers tend to be more effective at trapping heat and more resistant to damage, but they are also more expensive.
- Warranty: More expensive pool solar covers often come with longer and more comprehensive warranties than cheaper options. This can provide you with added peace of mind and protection against defects or damage.
- Brand: Some pool solar cover brands are known for their quality and reputation, which can make their products more expensive. However, these brands may also offer better performance and durability than cheaper, lesser-known brands.
Ultimately, the decision to purchase a cheap or expensive pool solar cover will depend on your budget and priorities. If you are looking for a short-term solution or are on a tight budget, a cheaper option may be a good choice. However, if you want a cover that will last for many seasons and provide optimal heat retention, it may be worth investing in a higher-end option.
When shopping for a pool solar cover, it can be helpful to know which brands are known for their quality and reputation. Here are some of the top brands in the pool solar cover market:
- Sun2Solar: Sun2Solar is a leading manufacturer of pool solar covers, offering a wide range of sizes and thicknesses to fit different pool types and needs. Their covers are made with durable materials and are designed to effectively trap heat, helping to reduce energy costs.
- Blue Wave: Blue Wave offers a variety of pool solar covers, including both bubble and panel designs. Their covers are made with high-quality materials and are designed to be easy to handle and store with the use of a solar cover reel.
- In The Swim: In The Swim offers a range of pool solar covers in different sizes and thicknesses, as well as customizable options to fit irregularly shaped pools. Their covers are designed to be easy to handle and store and come with a 3-year warranty.
- Intex: Intex is a popular brand in the pool industry, offering a variety of pool products including solar covers. Their covers are made with durable materials and come in different sizes to fit different pool types.
- Doheny’s: Doheny’s offers a variety of pool solar covers, including both bubble and panel designs. Their covers are made with high-quality materials and come with a 3-year warranty.
These are just a few of the top brands in the pool solar cover market, but there are many other reputable brands to choose from. When shopping for a pool solar cover, it’s important to research different brands and read reviews from other customers to ensure that you’re getting a high-quality product that will meet your needs.
Alternatives to Pool Solar Covers
If you’re looking for an alternative to a pool solar cover, there are a few options to consider:
- Liquid Solar Covers: Liquid solar covers are a chemical solution that forms a thin, invisible layer on the surface of the pool. This layer helps to reduce heat loss by reducing evaporation. While liquid solar covers can be effective, they do require regular application and may not be as effective as physical covers.
- Solar Rings: Solar rings are floating discs that contain small air pockets that trap heat from the sun and transfer it to the water. While solar rings are less expensive than traditional pool solar covers, they can be less effective and may require more maintenance.
- Retractable Pool Enclosures: Retractable pool enclosures are permanent structures that provide a more permanent solution to heat loss and evaporation. These enclosures can be opened and closed to allow for natural ventilation or to keep the pool covered during cooler periods.
- Solar Panels: Solar panels can be installed on the roof of a nearby building or on a dedicated structure to heat the pool water directly. While solar panels can be more expensive than pool solar covers, they can be more effective at heating the pool water and can help to reduce energy costs in the long run.
When considering alternatives to pool solar covers, it’s important to evaluate each option based on its effectiveness, cost, and maintenance requirements to determine which solution will work best for your needs.
Benefits of Pool Solar Covers
- Reduced Energy Costs: One of the main benefits of pool solar covers is that they can help to reduce energy costs by trapping heat from the sun and reducing the need for a pool heater. This can lead to significant savings on your energy bill over time.
- Increased Water Temperature: Pool solar covers can also help to increase the water temperature by trapping heat from the sun. This can make your pool more comfortable to swim in, especially during cooler periods.
- Reduced Chemical Use: Pool solar covers can help to reduce the amount of chemicals needed to maintain the pool by reducing evaporation. This can help to save money on chemicals and reduce the environmental impact of pool maintenance.
- Reduced Water Loss: Pool solar covers can also help to reduce water loss by reducing evaporation. This can help to conserve water and reduce the need to constantly refill the pool.
- Improved Water Quality: Pool solar covers can help to keep debris and dirt out of the pool, which can help to improve water quality and reduce the need for cleaning and maintenance.
- Extended Swimming Season: By trapping heat from the sun, pool solar covers can help to extend the swimming season by keeping the pool water warmer for longer periods. This can allow you to enjoy your pool for a longer period of time each year.
These are just a few of the benefits of pool solar covers. By investing in a high-quality pool solar cover, you can enjoy these benefits and more while reducing your energy costs and environmental impact.
Meet Eric McGough, a seasoned adventurer and military veteran who traded his tech career for a life of outdoor exploration and freedom. He plans to travel the world, discover new adventures, and share information about great destinations, gear, and more on the Shaman Mountain Sports and Outdoors Blog.