Are you searching for the perfect
Our Top Picks
Daypackfor Men: Osprey Backpack Daylite Plus
Daypackfor Women: Osprey Tempest 20
Daypackfor Hiking: Osprey Talon 22
Daypackfor Travel: Osprey Farpoint 40
Daypackfor Hunting: SOG Ninja Daypack
- Best Packable
Daypack: Venture Pal 40L
- Best Waterproof
Daypack: Earth Pak Waterproof Backpack
- Best Ultralight
Daypack: Osprey Ultralight Stuff Pack
- Best Urban
Daypack: Matein Mlassic Travel Laptop Backpack
The Osprey Daylite Plus is the ultimate daypack for men, combining comfort, functionality, and versatility. With a 20-liter capacity, it offers ample space for daily essentials or day trips. The pack features a comfortable harness system, multiple organization pockets, and a hydration reservoir sleeve. The Daylite Plus is also compatible with Osprey's larger backpacks, allowing it to be used as an add-on daypack. It's durable construction and sleek design make it suitable for various activities, from hiking to commuting in the city.
- 20-liter capacity for essential storage
- Comfortable harness system for all-day wear
- Multiple organization pockets for easy access
- Limited capacity for longer trips
- Hydration reservoir sleeve for on-the-go hydration
- Compatibility with Osprey's larger backpacks
- Durable construction for long-lasting use
Osprey Tempest 20, the best daypack for women, offers a comfortable and versatile solution for outdoor adventures. With its women-specific design, it ensures an ideal fit and superior performance. The pack has a 20-liter capacity, multiple pockets for organization, and features that make it suitable for hiking, biking, and day trips.
- Women-specific design for optimal fit
- 20-liter capacity for essentials
- Multiple pockets for organization
- Limited capacity for longer trips
- Lightweight and durable construction
- Hydration reservoir compatibility
- Limited capacity for longer trips
The Osprey Talon 22 is a popular choice among hikers due to its excellent features and performance. It offers a 22-liter capacity, making it spacious enough to carry hiking essentials without being too bulky. The pack features a comfortable and adjustable harness system, ventilated back panel, and a hip belt for added stability. With multiple pockets and attachment points, it provides ample organization options for gear and water bottles. The Talon 22 also offers hydration reservoir compatibility and trekking pole attachments, making it a versatile and reliable choice for hiking adventures.
- Comfortable and adjustable harness system
- Ventilated back panel for enhanced airflow
- Ample organization options
- Limited capacity for longer hikes
- Hip belt for stability and load distribution
- Hydration reservoir compatibility
- Trekking pole attachments for convenience
The Osprey Farpoint 40 is the ultimate daypack for travel, offering a generous 40-liter capacity and versatile features. This pack is designed to meet carry-on size restrictions, making it ideal for both short trips and extended travels. It features a comfortable suspension system, padded laptop and tablet sleeves, and multiple organizational pockets. The Farpoint 40 also comes with a detachable daypack, allowing for convenient day excursions while keeping your essentials secure.
- Spacious 40-liter capacity for ample storage
- Carry-on size for easy travel
- Comfortable suspension system for long-wearing comfort
- May be too large for some travelers who prefer smaller packs
- Padded laptop and tablet sleeves for electronics protection
- Multiple organizational pockets for efficient packing
- Detachable daypack for added versatility
The SOG Ninja Daypack is a reliable and functional daypack specifically designed for hunting. It offers a 24.2-liter capacity, providing ample space for hunting essentials. The pack features a main compartment with multiple organization pockets, hydration bladder compatibility, and MOLLE webbing for attaching additional gear. The Ninja Daypack is made from durable materials, ensuring longevity in rugged hunting environments. Its sleek design and camouflage pattern make it an excellent choice for stealthy hunting trips.
- 24.2-liter capacity for hunting gear
- Multiple organization pockets for efficient packing
- Hydration bladder compatibility for on-the-go hydration
- Limited capacity for longer hunting trips
- MOLLE webbing for attaching additional gear
- Durable construction for rugged use
- Camouflage pattern for stealthy hunting
The Venture Pal 40L Lightweight Packable Travel Hiking Backpack Daypack is a versatile and spacious packable daypack designed for travel and outdoor adventures. With a 40-liter capacity, it offers ample room for all your gear and essentials. Made from durable and water-resistant nylon material, this backpack is built to withstand various weather conditions. It features multiple compartments, including a large main compartment and front pockets, for efficient organization. The adjustable shoulder straps and breathable mesh back panel ensure a comfortable carrying experience. When not in use, the backpack can be folded into its own inner zippered pocket for easy storage.
- 40-liter capacity for ample storage
- Lightweight and packable design
- Durable and water-resistant nylon material
- May be too large for some users preferences
- Multiple compartments for organized packing
- Adjustable shoulder straps for a comfortable fit
- Breathable mesh back panel for ventilation
The Earth Pak Waterproof Backpack is the ultimate choice for outdoor enthusiasts seeking a reliable and durable waterproof daypack. With options available in 35L, 55L, and 85L sizes, this backpack offers plenty of storage space for all your gear. It is constructed with 500D PVC material, ensuring complete waterproof protection and abrasion resistance for your valuable items. The roll-top closure with a reinforced strip keeps water out, and the easy-access front-zippered pocket allows quick grab-and-go items. The bag also features internal and external pockets for additional storage, as well as a comfortable cushioned padded back panel. It includes a chest strap and waist belt for added weight distribution and has reflective elements for enhanced visibility. With its MOLLE looping system, you can easily attach the bag to boats, bikes, and more.
- 100% waterproof for complete gear protection
- Easy-to-use roll-top closure for quick access
- Ample extra storage with internal and external pockets
- May be too large for some users' needs
- Compact and lightweight for travel convenience
- Comfortable cushioned padded back panel
- Versatile attachment options with MOLLE looping system
The Osprey Ultralight Stuff Pack is the best choice for those seeking an ultralight daypack without sacrificing functionality. This pack is made from high-quality nylon, making it durable and water-resistant. With a 20-liter capacity, it offers ample storage space for essentials. The pack is designed to be easily stowed away, as it can be stuffed into its own pocket for compact storage. It features a top zippered main compartment, a front zippered pocket, and stretch mesh side pockets for organization. The adjustable shoulder straps ensure a comfortable fit, while the webbing waist strap adds stability. This pack is perfect for day hikes, travel, or as an extra bag for unexpected needs.
- Ultralight and packable design
- Durable and water-resistant nylon material
- Ample storage capacity for essentials
- Limited padding and support
- No hydration reservoir compatibility
- Convenient front and side pockets for organization
- Comfortable adjustable shoulder straps
- Versatile for various activities and travel
The Matein Mlassic Travel Laptop Backpack is a versatile and popular choice for urban commuting and travel. Available in multiple sizes and colors, this backpack suits various uses and preferences. The 14-inch, 15.6-inch, and 17-inch options provide different storage capacities to accommodate your needs. Made from durable water-resistant polyester fabric, this backpack offers reliable protection for your belongings.
- Multiple size options to fit different laptop sizes
- USB port design for easy charging on the go
- Durable and water-resistant construction
- USB charging port requires an external power source
- Luggage strap for easy attachment to luggage/suitcase
- Hidden anti-theft pocket for secure storage
- Suitable for office work, travel, college, and more
|Osprey Backpack Daylite Plus||Best ||20-liter capacity||Limited capacity for longer trips||Hydration reservoir sleeve, compatibility with larger backpacks|
|Osprey Tempest 20||Best ||Women-specific design||Limited capacity for longer trips||Lightweight and durable construction, hydration reservoir compatibility|
|Osprey Talon 22||Best ||Comfortable and adjustable harness system||Limited capacity for longer hikes||Ventilated back panel, hip belt, hydration reservoir compatibility, trekking pole attachments|
|Osprey Farpoint 40||Best ||Spacious 40-liter capacity||May be too large for some travelers who prefer smaller packs||Padded laptop and tablet sleeves, multiple organizational pockets, detachable |
|SOG Ninja Daypack||Best ||24.2-liter capacity||Limited capacity for longer hunting trips||Multiple organization pockets, hydration bladder compatibility, MOLLE webbing|
|Venture Pal 40L||Best Packable ||40-liter capacity||May be too large for some users’ preferences||Lightweight and packable design, durable and water-resistant nylon material|
|Earth Pak Waterproof Backpack||Best Waterproof ||100% waterproof||May be too large for some users’ needs||Durable 500D PVC material, roll-top closure, internal and external pockets, comfortable cushioned back panel|
|Osprey Ultralight Stuff Pack||Best Ultralight ||Ultralight and packable design||Limited padding and support, no hydration reservoir compatibility||Durable and water-resistant nylon material, convenient front and side pockets|
|Matein Mlassic Travel Laptop Backpack||Best Urban ||Multiple size options to fit different laptop sizes||USB charging port requires an external power source||Durable and water-resistant construction, luggage strap, hidden anti-theft pocket|
When it comes to selecting the perfect
- Capacity and Size: The first thing to consider is the capacity and size of the
daypack. Think about what you’ll be carrying and how much space you’ll need. Daypacks typically range from 10 to 35 liters, with smaller capacities ideal for shorter outings and larger capacities suitable for longer adventures.
- Durability and Material: Durability is crucial to ensure your
daypackwithstands the demands of outdoor activities. Look for sturdy materials such as nylon or polyester, which are water-resistant and offer excellent durability. Reinforced stitching and strong zippers also contribute to the overall durability of the pack.
- Comfort and Fit: A comfortable
daypackcan make a significant difference during extended use. Look for padded shoulder straps, a breathable back panel, and an adjustable sternum strap and waist belt. These features distribute the weight evenly, reduce strain on your shoulders, and provide a customized fit.
- Organization and Pockets: Consider the organization features that suit your needs. Multiple compartments, pockets, and internal dividers help keep your gear well-organized. Look for a
daypackwith external mesh pockets or attachment points for easy access to water bottles, trekking poles, or other essentials.
- Weight and Portability: If you prioritize lightweight gear, opt for a
daypackmade from lightweight materials without sacrificing durability. This is particularly important for hiking and travel, where minimizing weight can enhance your overall experience. Additionally, choose a daypackthat can be packed down easily for convenient storage.
- Design and Style: While functionality should be a priority, the design and style of the
daypackcan also be important. Choose a design that suits your personal taste and reflects your outdoor lifestyle. There are various colors, patterns, and designs available to match your preferences.
Remember, it’s essential to assess your specific needs and the activities you’ll be undertaking to choose a
Types of Daypacks
Here are some common types of daypacks that cater to specific activities:
- Hiking Daypacks: Designed for outdoor enthusiasts, hiking daypacks are typically lightweight and feature a comfortable suspension system. They often include hydration bladder compatibility, trekking pole attachments, and multiple pockets for organizing essentials like maps, snacks, and rain gear.
- Travel Daypacks: Travel daypacks prioritize convenience and versatility. They are designed to be compact, lightweight, and easy to carry during sightseeing or exploring new destinations. Travel daypacks often have anti-theft features, padded laptop compartments, and organization pockets for passports, travel documents, and personal belongings.
- Commuter Daypacks: Ideal for daily commuting, these daypacks offer functionality and organization for work essentials. They often have designated compartments for laptops or tablets, compartments for documents or files, and additional pockets for small items like pens, wallets, and phones. Comfortable shoulder straps and back padding are common features for all-day wear.
- Cycling Daypacks: Designed specifically for cyclists, these daypacks offer a streamlined, aerodynamic design. They typically feature straps or compartments for securing helmets and reflective elements for enhanced visibility. Cycling daypacks also include hydration bladder compatibility and additional storage for tools, pumps, and spare parts.
- School/College Daypacks: These daypacks are tailored for students, with compartments for laptops, books, notebooks, and stationery. They often have padded shoulder straps and back panels for comfort during long hours of carrying heavy loads. Some school daypacks also feature external pockets for water bottles and other personal items.
- Casual/Everyday Daypacks: Versatile and suitable for various activities, casual daypacks are designed for everyday use. They come in a range of styles, sizes, and materials to match personal preferences. These daypacks offer a balance of functionality and style, with compartments for essentials like water bottles, keys, wallets, and electronics.
Remember, the type of
When it comes to daypacks, there are several top brands known for their quality and reputation. Here are some of the leading brands in the industry:
- Osprey: Osprey is renowned for its high-quality backpacks and daypacks, known for their durability, comfort, and innovative features. They offer a wide range of daypacks suitable for hiking, travel, and everyday use, with options for both men and women.
- Deuter: Deuter is a German brand that specializes in outdoor gear, including backpacks and daypacks. They are known for their excellent craftsmanship, ergonomic designs, and attention to detail. Deuter offers a variety of daypacks suitable for hiking, climbing, and other outdoor activities.
- Patagonia: Patagonia is a well-known brand that focuses on sustainability and environmentally friendly practices. They offer a range of daypacks that combine functionality with eco-conscious materials and designs. Patagonia daypacks are popular for hiking, travel, and urban use.
- The North Face: The North Face is a trusted brand in the outdoor industry, offering a wide range of gear, including daypacks. Their daypacks are known for their durability, performance, and versatility. The North Face offers options for various outdoor activities, as well as casual and travel use.
- Gregory: Gregory is a brand that specializes in backpacks and daypacks designed for outdoor adventures. They are known for their comfortable suspension systems and ergonomic designs that provide excellent weight distribution. Gregory daypacks are popular among hikers, climbers, and backpackers.
- REI Co-op: REI Co-op is a retailer that also produces its own line of outdoor gear, including daypacks. Their daypacks are known for their value, quality, and versatility. REI Co-op offers a range of daypacks suitable for hiking, travel, and everyday use.
- Columbia: Columbia is a well-established brand in the outdoor apparel and gear industry. They offer a selection of daypacks and backpacks that are known for their durability, functionality, and affordability. Columbia daypacks cater to various activities and provide reliable performance.
These brands have established themselves as leaders in the
Daypacks vs. Backpacks
When comparing daypacks and backpacks, it’s important to understand their differences and consider your specific needs. Here are some key points to consider:
- Size and Capacity: Daypacks are generally smaller in size and have a capacity ranging from 10 to 35 liters, making them ideal for day trips or shorter outings. Backpacks, on the other hand, come in various sizes and capacities, ranging from
daypacksize to large backpacking sizes for multi-day trips.
- Purpose and Intended Use: Daypacks are designed for carrying essentials for a day trip or outing, such as water, snacks, extra clothing layers, and personal items. They often have compartments and pockets for organization. Backpacks, on the other hand, are more versatile and can be used for various purposes, including day trips, hiking, traveling, commuting, or backpacking.
- Comfort and Support: Both daypacks and backpacks can offer comfort, but backpacks generally have more robust suspension systems, including padded shoulder straps, hip belts, and back panels. This provides better weight distribution, making them suitable for carrying heavier loads over longer distances. Daypacks typically have lighter and simpler suspension systems, focusing more on lightweight and ease of use.
- Versatility: Backpacks are more versatile and can adapt to different activities and situations. They often have additional features like removable daypacks, convertible designs, or external attachment points for gear. Daypacks are more specialized for shorter outings and may lack some of the features found in backpacks.
- Durability: While durability can vary depending on the specific brand and model, backpacks tend to be designed for more rugged use, with heavier-duty materials and reinforced construction. Daypacks, being smaller and lighter, may prioritize lightweight materials and may not be as durable for extended heavy use.
Ultimately, the choice between a
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks that can help you make the most of your
- Choose the Right Size: Select a
daypackthat suits your needs in terms of size and capacity. Consider the duration of your outings and the amount of gear you typically carry. A pack that is too small may not fit all your essentials, while one that is too large may be bulky and uncomfortable.
- Pack Efficiently: Organize your items effectively to maximize space and accessibility. Place heavier items closer to your back to maintain balance, and use smaller compartments or packing cubes to separate and categorize items. Roll clothes instead of folding to save space and minimize wrinkles.
- Prioritize Essentials: Only pack the items you truly need for your outing. Consider the activities you’ll be engaging in and pack accordingly. It’s better to travel light and have the freedom to move comfortably.
- Use Compression Straps: Many daypacks come with compression straps that allow you to cinch down the pack and compress its contents. This helps stabilize the load, reduce bulk, and keep items from shifting around inside.
- Keep Frequently Used Items Handy: Place items you’ll need to access frequently, such as a water bottle, snacks, or a camera, in easily reachable pockets or compartments. This saves you the hassle of rummaging through the entire pack.
- Consider Weather Protection: If you expect to encounter rain or other wet conditions, pack a waterproof cover or line the inside of your pack with a waterproof bag to protect your belongings. Some daypacks also come with built-in rain covers.
- Adjust the Straps and Fit: Ensure that your
daypackfits properly and is adjusted to your body. Tighten the shoulder straps, sternum strap, and hip belt to distribute the weight evenly and minimize strain on your shoulders and back.
- Test and Adjust: Before heading out on your adventure, take a short walk or hike with your loaded
daypackto ensure it feels comfortable and well-balanced. Adjust the straps or reorganize items as needed to achieve the best fit and feel.
- Keep Valuables Secure: Use internal pockets or compartments to keep valuables like wallets, passports, and electronics secure and easily accessible. Consider a
daypackwith hidden or discreet pockets for added security.
- Practice Proper Care: Clean and dry your
daypackafter each use to maintain its condition. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for care and maintenance to ensure its longevity.
By following these tips and tricks, you can optimize your
Alternatives to Daypacks
If you’re looking for alternatives to daypacks, there are a few options depending on your needs and preferences. Here are some alternatives:
- Sling Bags: Sling bags are compact, single-shoulder bags that offer a lightweight and easy-to-carry option for essentials. They typically have a single strap that can be worn across the body or over one shoulder. Sling bags are great for quick outings or when you only need to carry a few items.
- Waist Packs/Belt Bags: Waist packs, also known as belt bags or fanny packs, are worn around the waist and provide convenient access to your belongings. They are compact and ideal for activities where you want to keep your hands free, such as hiking, running, or sightseeing.
- Messenger Bags: Messenger bags feature a single strap worn across the body, and they come in various sizes. They offer a larger carrying capacity compared to sling bags and can accommodate laptops, books, and other items. Messenger bags are versatile and suitable for both casual and professional settings.
- Tote Bags: Tote bags are spacious, open-top bags with sturdy handles. They are versatile and often used for shopping or carrying everyday essentials. Tote bags come in different sizes and materials, allowing you to choose a style that suits your needs. They can be a good alternative for day trips or when you need to carry bulkier items.
- Backpacks with Laptop Compartments: If you need to carry a laptop or tablet along with other items, consider a backpack with a dedicated laptop compartment. These backpacks offer the convenience of organizing your electronics and personal belongings in one bag while providing comfortable carrying options.
- Convertible Backpacks: Some backpacks can be converted into different styles, such as messenger bags or duffel bags. These versatile options give you flexibility in how you carry your belongings and can adapt to different situations.
Remember to consider your specific needs, the duration of your outing, and the items you’ll be carrying when choosing an alternative to a
Benefits of Daypacks
Daypacks offer several benefits that make them a popular choice for various activities. Here are some key benefits of using daypacks:
- Convenience and Portability: Daypacks are designed to be compact and lightweight, making them easy to carry for day trips or outings. They provide a convenient way to carry your essentials without being burdened by a larger backpack or suitcase.
- Organization: Daypacks often come with multiple compartments, pockets, and dividers, allowing you to organize your belongings effectively. This helps keep your items easily accessible and prevents them from getting jumbled together.
- Comfortable Carrying: Daypacks are designed with comfort in mind. They typically feature padded shoulder straps, adjustable sternum straps, and back panels that provide support and distribute weight evenly. This makes them comfortable to wear, even for extended periods.
- Versatility: Daypacks are versatile and suitable for a range of activities. Whether you’re hiking, sightseeing, commuting, or traveling, a
daypackcan accommodate your essentials and provide convenient storage and organization.
- Hands-Free Mobility: With a
daypack, your hands are free to engage in various activities. Whether you’re exploring a new city, hiking a trail, or participating in outdoor sports, having your belongings securely stored in a daypackallows you to move freely and comfortably.
- Protection and Security: Daypacks often come with features that enhance the protection and security of your belongings. These may include lockable zippers, hidden compartments, or slash-resistant materials, providing peace of mind when you’re in crowded areas or unfamiliar environments.
- Hydration Compatibility: Many daypacks are designed to accommodate hydration bladders or have dedicated pockets for water bottles. Staying hydrated is essential during outdoor activities, and having easy access to water helps keep you refreshed and energized.
- Style and Design: Daypacks come in a variety of styles, designs, and colors, allowing you to choose one that matches your personal taste and preferences. You can find daypacks that suit your fashion sense while still providing the functionality you need.
Daypacks offer the perfect balance between convenience, organization, and comfort. Their versatile nature makes them an excellent choice for day trips, outdoor adventures, and everyday use. Whether you’re exploring the city or venturing into the wilderness, a
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a
daypack? A daypackis a small backpack designed for day trips, hikes, or outings. It is typically compact, lightweight, and has enough capacity to carry essentials for a day’s adventure.
- What should I look for when buying a
daypack? When buying a daypack, consider factors such as size and capacity, comfort and support features, organization options, durability, and the specific activities you’ll be using it for. Also, ensure a proper fit and check for any additional features that may suit your needs, such as hydration compatibility or external attachment points.
- How much can a
daypacktypically carry? Daypacks generally have a capacity ranging from 10 to 35 liters. The actual amount they can carry depends on the pack’s design, compartmentalization, and how you pack it. It’s important to consider the specific items you plan to carry and choose a daypackwith an appropriate capacity.
- Are daypacks waterproof? Not all daypacks are waterproof, but some may come with water-resistant materials or features such as built-in rain covers or waterproof compartments. If you anticipate encountering wet conditions, consider purchasing a
daypackwith enhanced water protection or use a separate waterproof cover or liner.
- Can I use a
daypackfor travel? Yes, daypacks can be used for travel, especially for day trips or as carry-on bags. They provide a convenient way to carry your essentials while exploring new destinations. However, if you require more storage space for longer trips, you may need to consider larger backpacks or suitcases.
- How do I clean and maintain my
daypack? The cleaning and maintenance instructions for daypacks can vary depending on the materials used. In general, it’s best to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines. Spot cleaning with mild soap and water is usually sufficient for regular maintenance. Avoid machine washing or drying unless specifically stated by the manufacturer.
- Can I use a
daypackfor hiking? Yes, daypacks are commonly used for hiking. They are designed to carry essentials such as water, snacks, extra clothing layers, and hiking gear. Look for daypacks with features like comfortable suspension systems, hydration compatibility, and attachment points for hiking poles or gear.
- Are daypacks suitable for kids? Yes, there are daypacks available specifically designed for kids with smaller sizes and adjustable straps to ensure a proper fit. These packs offer a great way for children to carry their own essentials during family outings or outdoor adventures.
Meet Eric McGough, a seasoned adventurer and military veteran who traded his tech career for a life of outdoor exploration and freedom. He plans to travel the world, discover new adventures, and share information about great destinations, gear, and more on the Shaman Mountain Sports and Outdoors Blog.